Which operating system do you use and why?

ChrisTenone:
Maybe never mind then.

When I start something on the computer, the last thing I want to consider is support.

I think what both Robin2 and I meant by "support" is just that you try something and it'll work (Desktop examples: install spotify, install skype, run the arduino ide, whatever). You don't have to go messing around with configuration files without knowing what's wrong, because a ton of people use it, it works. You can just Google it. You'll find seven different write-ups all telling you exactly what to do. it "just works."

Ubuntu is very polished and people have no problems running at as their normal, everyday, desktop computer. Unless you need some specific application you won't lose anything. On the other hand what you gain is a bash prompt (without installing cygwin or something, which is a Unix-like subsytem for Windows).

however, this applies to when it exists. If it doesn't run under Linux, that's another story.

@ChrisTenone - you said you have macs at home including for arduino stuff. Any big advantage to the macs that you see?