connecting LEDs to an arduino without a board

Hello

I have a project I would like to complete and I would like to use a single Arduino Uno to output to 10 LEDs to blink in a timed sequence. Does anyone have any advice on how to affix LEDs through soldering or another method? Here is a photo of the LEDs I picked up.

Thanks!

You don't need a board.

You can solder the LEDs directly to [u]header pins[/u], or solder wires to header pins, and solder the other end of the wires to the LEDs.

Don't forget current-limiting in series with each LED. When I solder a resistor inline with an LED, I like to insulate the connection and entire resistor with heat shrink tubing, and I like to use clear heat-shrink just in case I forget the resistor is there in the future. I like to insulate all "free floating" solder connections with heat-shrink, including where the wire is soldered to the header pin..

But with 10 LEDs, resistors, and ground wires, you are going to have a mess it you try to "affix" the LEDs direclty to the Arduino. It's better if you can physically mount the LEDs to something else (a front panel, a perfboard, or ...something).

1 Like

and if you dont like to solder use a breadboard and some wires.

buy a breadboard.

Use a protoboard.

Solder the LEDs, current limit resistors and headers to bring wires over to the Arduino.