El Capitan - Arduino IDE serial port problems

I have the same issue USB driver not working on El Capitan

I have the very same problem with El Capitan and my genuine Arduino UNO.

There are no "tty" ports listed in Arduino IDE, just "cu".

An helping hand would be really appreciated!

Thanks to everybody.

wizardofwords:

The "/dev/cu." port seems to work the same as the corresponding "/dev/tty." port. The 1.6.x IDE just stopped showing both. Use the "/dev/cu." port.

how to Use the "/dev/cu." port ???

The Arduino IDE does not work with an Adafruit Gemma either. It will not recognize the USB connection as a serial port at all in OS 10.11. Help!

I've found that I am able to program an Arduino / Genuino UNO R 3 through Bluetooth in El Capitan, using a Bluefruit EZ-Link. The Arduino IDE does see the Bluetooth link once you have paired it from your computer. That isn't a great workaround for the general problem because it requires adding Bluetooth to every project.

It seems that every USB serial port device is broken in El Capitan. I have a Pololu Zumo 32U4 robot based on a ATmega32U4 which uses LUFA USB (http://www.fourwalledcubicle.com/LUFA.php) and its port is now invisible too.

wizardofwords:
I have the very same problem with El Capitan and my genuine Arduino UNO.

Bit of a noob, but here is what I have found...

I have just installed the new release of Arduino IDE 1.6.6 (nightly???) on El Capitan 10.11.

Since upgrading to El Capitan I noticed my cheap Chinese nano's are no longer connectable via USB :frowning: They have the CH340G USB chip which used to work with this driver...
http://kiguino.moos.io/2014/12/31/how-to-use-arduino-nano-mini-pro-with-CH340G-on-mac-osx-yosemite.html

I can get the Uno and Uno compatible boards running under "dev/cu.csbmodem1411" which appeared as expected. LeoStick (Freetonics Leonardo Compatible arduino) works exactly as expected. But DFRobot 4wd MiniQ which is also supposed to work as Leonardo Compatible will not show up.

Sorry it isn't much help except to let you know what I found as working under the new OSX. Looking forward to the geniuses updating the drivers.

Good luck

Hello,
After the update to El Capitan, I can't see the serial port for my nano clones, CH340 equiped :slight_smile:
I tried this command:
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
without success, doesn't work with El capitan released (but seems ok with Yosemite and El capitan beta versions).

I found this solution (https://www.kiwi-electronics.eu/blog?journal_blog_post_id=7):

Just like Yosemite, El Capitan requires kext driver signing. How this can be disabled in OSX 10.11 is changed however.

To get the CH340 drivers to work in El Capitan you need to use the new tool csrutil as follows:

Reboot and press CMD+R immediately after hearing the startup sound to boot to Recovery Mode
Open Terminal
Execute the following command: csrutil enable --without kext
Reboot

Just another link with the same workaround:

Claudio

@ cidiemme, just made an account to thank you. Was very close on giving up and do it in Windows.
The solution from (https://www.kiwi-electronics.eu/blog?journal_blog_post_id=7) worked for me in El Capitan.

emn_mun:
@ cidiemme, just made an account to thank you.

Hello,
I'm really happy to read! :slight_smile:

Same problem of tty ports disappeared in El Capitan.
Any port showed isn't good.
I have an Arduino Uno Rev.3 board equipped with ATMEGA 16U2.
Arduino IDE is 1.6.5
I think that installing CH340 drivers is a nonsense in my case.
Thanks to everybody can help me.

@ cidiemme,
I second that Thanks. Cheers.

@paoloh1950,

paoloh1950:
Same problem of tty ports disappeared in El Capitan.
Any port showed isn't good.
I have an Arduino Uno Rev.3 board equipped with ATMEGA 16U2.
Arduino IDE is 1.6.5
I think that installing CH340 drivers is a nonsense in my case.
Thanks to everybody can help me.

I have Uno Rev 3 working fine on the latest version of the IDE. I think I downloaded and installed it again and all was good after that.

Good Luck

I have installed le latest version of Arduino IDE, of oct-14th-2015, but the same problem of no tty port continues.
Not enough luck!

paoloh1950:
I have installed le latest version of Arduino IDE, of oct-14th-2015, but the same problem of no tty port continues.
Not enough luck!

Then perhaps you should look more deeply into the possibility that your problem is unrelated, and caused by something else.

I have two boards with issues.

Using El Capitan + Arduino IDE 1.6.6 10/14/15 build

1. Chinese clone.
    Following https://www.kiwi-electronics.eu/blog?journal_blog_post_id=7 solves the serial port driver load issue.

When uploading a sketch I get avrdude stk500v2_getsync() errors.

Is this due to a lack of a boot loader on the board?

I tried ISP with a redboard to the clone and this fails.

Followed the hookup in this link http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635

Programmer: Arduino as ISP
Tools->Burn Bootloader

Result:

“avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.”

Believe my connection are the same as in the link. I do not have a 10uF Cap between the reset and ground like some links indicate.

Can I update the boot loader with just a mac and the clone board?

1. Official Arduino Mega 2560 board
    Not detected. What driver should this use? FTDI driver?

I have sparkfun Uno compatible board - I install the FTDI driver and it works, but the official Arduino Mega 2560 fails.

Any advice appreciated. Please let me know what info I can provide to help troubleshoot this.

ardn00bo:
Followed the hookup in this link Gammon Forum : Electronics : Microprocessors : Atmega bootloader programmer

Programmer: Arduino as ISP
Tools->Burn Bootloader
Result:
“avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.”

Nick Gammon's instructions don't say to use >Burn Bootloader. You only followed his hookup, not all of his method.

I followed his instructions last week to burn new bootloaders onto 2 x ATMega328P chips, and used his sketch in an Arduino UNO to burn the bootloader onto new chips on a breadboard, not the Arduino IDE's >Burn Bootloader.
His sketch to burn a bootloader is "Atmega_Board_Programmer". Note that you need to download his whole directory, because it also contains the actual bootloader code in *.h files.

Believe my connection are the same as in the link. I do not have a 10uF Cap between the reset and ground like some links indicate.

I didn't need a cap either, but did you try one? You should be able to use your working UNO clone to do the burning, running Nick's sketch and the connections he provided.

Can I update the boot loader with just a mac and the clone board?

Yes, if you can load Nick's sketch onto the clone UNO, as I just said above. You can bypass the "Arduino as ISP" and "Burn Bootloader" in the IDE.

1. Official Arduino Mega 2560 board
    Not detected. What driver should this use? FTDI driver?

No driver needed. After a little reading on the Mega, (I only have UNOs), I found this, relating to the (original) Arduino ATMega2560 R3:-

Because the board features Atmel's own USB-to-Serial chip instead of an FTDI chip, there is no need for drivers under Linux or Mac (only an .inf file included with the Arduino IDE is required for Windows), and you have the ability to make the board show up as various types of devices.

So if you're on Mac, and have a genuine R3 Mega, you shouldn't need additional drivers. (I guess that means you have other problems, since the El Capitan issue in this thread relates to the (insecure) CH340G drivers.)

Same kind of problem here, in my Old MacPro :

• cannot upload in any board ( Arduino Uno and Arduino micro), in /dev/cu...
  • when I try to use the Serial Monitor, bluetooth connections are done ( my keyboard and my magic mouse were disconnected)
  • in bash, just try a ' cat /dev/tty....', same BT crash

My old and dusty usb was OK

Something between Serial driver and ElCapitan BT ?

Some more information that could be useful for anyone would help me.
The command: ls /dev/tty.* in Terminal answers: /dev/tty.usbmodem5D11, but that port doesn't appear in the list of ports in Arduino IDE, where I can find only: /dev/cu.usbmodem5D11.
The Mac System Profiler in hardware USB shows Arduino connected to a USB port.
Could it be a problem of baud rate?
Thanks!

Hi OldSteve,

1. Chinese clone.
    Thanks for the catch. I followed Nick Gammon's instructions, and can update at the 2560 boot loader from a redboard (uno) . I have another issue where a sketch can upload to the 2560 only once with a fresh boot loader.

See

[Topic: Upload Timeout Error on Mega 2560 - Not Sure What Changed] https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=83079.msg2450514

1. Official 2560
    I removed the FTDI driver from Mac OS 10.11, anduse the stock driver. Uno serial is detected, but official 2560 board is not. I see some other posts in the forum on this, but no clues as to a fix or what to do to debug.

Thanks.

Read that Arduino IDE 1.6.6. is arrived. Anyone tried yet ?