Hacking a microwave

robwlakes:
What i mean is how can i use the arduino do get access to something like an keyboard, or like my mouse and how do i get the code to do this stuff or make it up?

Hacking can take many paths, sometimes it is an inspiring post like KenF's above where the system is investigated and this may stimulate someone else to use it in a project, or attempt a similar explanatory strip down. Nearly all hacking is some sort of team work where hackers build on what they find out themselves, and what they can add to their knowledge from others. (The whole Arduino Community is an example of this) Good electronics skills help a lot, but are not essential to start. Armed with little more than wire cutters, screwdrivers and a multi-meter many systems can be investigated at a level that would be very instructional for a beginner.

Adding keyboard interactivity to a program is not so difficult. Use the libraries built into the Arduino IDE and you will get great assistance with handy library calls. Mice are not so easy, and given that most Arduino systems do not have a "screen" let alone a GUI on them, you really need to have a specific project in mind that demands a mouse style input to justify it (especially if at the beginner stage).

Not having the pressure of working with microprocessors for employment, my own experience is very haphazard, though this is definitely not a complaint. Lurching from one interest to another when I get an insight that takes off in one project, rather than another where I am bogged down. I tend to gradually expand my knowledge from project to project, and tend to think if I can now do A&B easily I might start looking at how to do C. Sometimes when trying to do step 0 to 1, I find I have to go back to -2, then -1 then 0, to get there.

I am apologise if this is sounding like a lecture, but initially finding simple projects that others have done (that you find interesting and motivating)and replicating those is the best way to build your experience base. I have been programming for nearly 45 years, but taking up C++ 3 years ago to get into the Arduino scene was very daunting, but hey I have gradually clawed my way to many half decent efforts. However that experience reminded me of how truly frustrating the early stages are. So have a go and when you get stuck share it with others on a forum somewhere (This forum has helped me numerous times) you will be amazed at how quickly things can develop. Find a project you would like to focus your efforts on, and then give it your best, and backtrack and ask questions when necessary.

Cheers, Rob

Thanks for the explanation, but i just would like to know if i need a shield to hack a usb keyboard