OpenWrt boot problem

Hello

I'll been looking through the forum and there seems to be some great people here - I hope one of you can help me.

I got my Yun (arduino.cc) out last night to have my first play and try and upload some scripts using 'ino'. Unfortunately I didn't even manage to connect successfully to my home wifi.

I have tried the WiFi reset (short and long presses). Neither reproduced the arduino wifi network. If I connect with ethernet cable it does not appear the device is assigned an IP.

I did have some success and uploaded the console sketch. The output from boot time is attached.

I'm quite excited about what I can do with this, but right now I'm at a complete loss how to get this working. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

bootoutput.txt (11.4 KB)

The good news is that looking at your boot output, while I have only given it a quick glance, it looks like Linux is booting properly.

When you did the short and long resets, did you wait for the system to fully boot? Unlike a lot of products where you use the system reset button while powering up or immediately after power on, with the Yun you must wait for the system to be fully booted before starting the reset process. Wait for the white USB LED to come on (it says USB< but it's really an indicator that booting is done) then wait about 10 more seconds (just to be safe.) Then press the button to start the reset sequence.

Have you tried the WiFI Status Example? This can give you some good information about the Yun's wireless network status.

Thanks for your response ShapeShifter.

When I first reset the wifi I was unaware of what the white LED meant. I did notice it was on all the time, but it is not on anymore. The WiFi reset may have been used before boot completed.

I have waited, to see what happens, even over night. The booting does not get beyond eth1:link up.

I have run the YunWiFiStatus it only said "Starting Bridge..." I played with the script and it hung for ages at Bridge.begin(); Eventually it returned "Current WiFi configuration" then nothing.

As I was having to reboot my mac after installing the old Java kit for my mac it is also possible the power was lost the my Yun during a boot and/or WiFi reset. I'm concerned I have bricked it but there is some life in the board.

YetAnotherArduinoFan:
I have waited, to see what happens, even over night. The booting does not get beyond eth1:link up.

That part is normal - that is indeed the last boot message. About 10 or 20 seconds after that, the white light should go on, at least for the arduino.cc version of the board (which is what I have - you say yours is from arduino.cc, but your Yun is running Linino, which is typical for arduino.org boards.)

I captured the output of my boot process and compared it to yours. I see some differences, but they do not appear to be significant, they are mostly related to being different Linino vs Arduino builds (things like dates, names, etc.) There are some slight differences in the WiFi message formats around 38 to 40 seconds into the log. I have a couple more messages about loading USB device drivers that I have installed. The last line for both our boot sequences is that Ethernet is up, your's is 10 MB Half duplex, mine is 100 MB Full duplex (a function of the type of port that is on the other end of the cable.)

Assuming you are using the YunSerialTerminal sketch and the Arduino Serial Monitor, if you are at the point where that last message has come out, you should be able to hit "Send" on the Serial Monitor, and you should see the command line banner. Type ifconfig in the Serial Monitor command box, and hit send again. You should see the current network configuration. Make note of the "inet addr" for eth1.

Then, type pretty-wifi-info.lua into the Serial Monitor command box, and hit send again. This will display the WiFi status, which is the exact same output generated by the WiFi Status Example sketch. This will let you know the WiFi status. Post it if you don't fully understand it.

Even if WiFi is not connecting for you, since you apparently have the Ethernet port connected, you should be able to log in that way. Take the "inet addr" noted above, and type that into a web browser address bar. You should be able to access the Yun that way and log into the configuration pages. That will then give you chance to set up the WiFi networking.

If you run into trouble, you can manually run the reset scripts as long as you are able to enter commands in the Serial Monitor through the YunSerialTerminal sketch:

• wifi-reset-and-reboot will do the same thing as the short (5 second) reset press
  • reset-to-factory-anyway && reboot will do the same thing as the long (30 second) reset press