MKR 1300 and Windows 10 Upload problems

Hello, I have a problem with the upload and the COM interface under Windows 10.
Apparently the driver is not working properly. A new installation and also another version of the IDE brought no improvement. Everything works fine on a Windows 7 PC.
The serial monitor does not work either. Nothing goes. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for your help!
A.

Erzwinge Reset durch öffnen/schließen mit 1200 bps auf dem Port COM4
processing.app.debug.RunnerException
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:152)
at cc.arduino.UploaderUtils.upload(UploaderUtils.java:77)
at processing.app.SketchController.upload(SketchController.java:732)
at processing.app.SketchController.exportApplet(SketchController.java:703)
at processing.app.Editor$UploadHandler.run(Editor.java:2042)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: processing.app.SerialException: Fehler beim Ansprechen des seriellen Ports "COM4".
at processing.app.Serial.touchForCDCReset(Serial.java:107)
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:136)
... 5 more
Caused by: jssc.SerialPortException: Port name - COM4; Method name - openPort(); Exception type - Port busy.
at jssc.SerialPort.openPort(SerialPort.java:164)
at processing.app.Serial.touchForCDCReset(Serial.java:101)
... 6 more

Do you have COM4 open in any other applications? If so, you need to close that before uploading. Only one application can have a serial port open at a time.

If not, try restarting your computer. Sometimes there is some glitch that causes a port to get stuck open.

Thanks! There is no other application at the same COM-port.
I tryed a lot including restarts, other port#, other cable, other USB-port, with powered hub, etc. But nothing helps.

Any other ideas?
A.

Please do this:

• File > Preferences > Show verbose output during: > compilation (uncheck) > upload (check) > OK
  • Sketch > Upload
  • After the upload fails you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar "Copy error messages". Click that button.
  • Paste the error messages in a reply here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the forum toolbar).

pert:
Please do this:

• File > Preferences > Show verbose output during: > compilation (uncheck) > upload (check) > OK
  • Sketch > Upload
  • After the upload fails you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar "Copy error messages". Click that button.
  • Paste the error messages in a reply here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the forum toolbar).

Sorry, but the upload does never ends automatically. So there is no orange bar, the only message is the one from my first post. After this, IDE is doing nothing.

A.

Try this:

• Press the reset button on your MKR WAN 1300 twice quickly. You should now see the built-in LED continuously pulsing to indicate that the bootloader is running.
  • Select the port of the MKR WAN 1300 from the Tools > Port menu. It will probably have a different port when the bootloader is running so don't assume you already had the correct port selected.
  • Attempt an upload.

If things work out well, this will allow a successful upload. The hope is that after a successful upload using the "double-tap" technique, you will be able to upload normally. Please let me know what the results are.

pert:
Try this:

• Press the reset button on your MKR WAN 1300 twice quickly. You should now see the built-in LED continuously pulsing to indicate that the bootloader is running.
  • Select the port of the MKR WAN 1300 from the Tools > Port menu. It will probably have a different port when the bootloader is running so don't assume you already had the correct port selected.
  • Attempt an upload.

If things work out well, this will allow a successful upload. The hope is that after a successful upload using the "double-tap" technique, you will be able to upload normally. Please let me know what the results are.

Unfortunately that does not help either. In the Device Manager, although another COM port is active and I can change it, but it does not work. Same result. I had already tried before.
Something with the Arduino USB driver does not seem to work for me on this PC.
A.

When you press the reset button, does the LED start pulsing?

potz1000:
In the Device Manager, although another COM port is active and I can change it

You were supposed to change the port in the Arduino IDE's Tools > Port menu, not Device Manager.

potz1000:
Same result.

Do you get the "Caused by: jssc.SerialPortException: Port name - COM4; Method name - openPort(); Exception type - Port busy." error message, but with the bootloader's COM port instead of COM4?

pert:
When you press the reset button, does the LED start pulsing?
You were supposed to change the port in the Arduino IDE's Tools > Port menu, not Device Manager.
Do you get the "Caused by: jssc.SerialPortException: Port name - COM4; Method name - openPort(); Exception type - Port busy." error message, but with the bootloader's COM port instead of COM4?

Yes, the LED is smooth pulsing. And yes, of course I change the COM port in the IDE. The result is the same, only with the other port number. It does not work anyway.
It looks like the driver is blocking the COM port. It does not work synonymous, the serial monitor, because the port is busy.

Years ago, there was a frequent problem that people would have certain drivers installed that caused all serial ports to be opened, that would cause the error you're experiencing. I haven't heard anyone report this on Windows for a very long time. Here's the relevant entry in the (extremely outdated) official troubleshooting guide:

Check that you're not running any programs that scan all serial ports, like USB Cellular Wifi Dongle software (e.g. from Sprint or Verizon), PDA sync applications, Bluetooth-USB drivers (e.g. BlueSoleil), virtual daemon tools, etc.

I do not know how to continue. Normal Arduinos can also be programmed without problems with this PC.
It astonishes me that the driver of the MKR 1300 behaves differently on all PCs that I have tried.

I give up and will use another PC to program or try again with VMWare.

Maybe there will soon be a clone that works differently.

Thanks!
A.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you resolve the issue. I am using Windows 10 and have never encountered this problem with my MKR WAN 1300. I do occasionally manage to get my computer in the state where a COM port seems to be stuck open (perhaps because I closed the IDE while a failed upload process was running and it continued perpetually in the background?). I have always been able to resolve this by simply restarting my computer. It doesn't happen often, and it's usually when I'm doing wacky things like intentionally trying to get errors for testing purposes.

Same behavior here.
Everything works just fine. I have 3 different Win10 PCs and I can program my MRKWAN1300 boards using the usb or serial1 interface normally. Using the Arduino IDE software OR Atom OR VSCode. Everything works just fine.
I use the same WIN10 PCs to deal with Arduino UNOs, and have no issues also.
One weird thing I see on the picture attached on the first message is that you have MANY COM ports at the same time (COM4, COM5, COM6 and COM7). In my system I can only have one at a time. When running normally I have a "Arduino MKRWAN1300" and when I switch to the bootloader (double click the reset button) I have a "Arduino MKRWAN1300 bootloader", but never both at the same time.

I had exactly the same problem. I have two Arduino MKR 1300 here and didn't get Windows to recognize them with serveral USB-cables, different USB-ports, ... Sometimes the windows device manager recognized the arduino, but seconds later ist was gone. I contacted the arduino support and they told me, the foam on witch the Arduino ist shipped ist slightly conductive. So when you leave the board an the foam there will be interference between the pins.

After trowing away this foam and using a test-board instead everything worked fine.

1 Like