Arduino uno wifi rev2 can not upload any sketch

Hello again,
I restarted my Fedora 29. Then I tested blink sketch on «Arduino uno wifi rev2» with the same error:

avrdude: usbdev_open(): cannot open device: Permission denied
avrdude: jtag3_open_common(): Did not find any device matching VID 0x03eb and PID list: 0x2145
S'ha produït un error mentre s'enviava el programari.

Thanks for your help.
What can I do ?
Carles.

Are you using the mhall1119 snap package of the Arduino IDE? There have been reports of this package having these "Permission denied" errors, even after doing the dialout group thing. That issue was resolved by uninstalling the snap package and installing the official Arduino IDE, downloaded here:

Hello again,
I have not any snap package of the Arduino IDE but I uninstalled arduino 1.8.5 from source fedora and I have only arduino 1.8.8 from source arduino,cc , I tested «arduino uno» with blink sketch and it run , I keep the permissions to write on it via usb ( /dev/ttyACM0 ).
Now I can test «Arduino uno wifi 2rev» with blink sketch, but it can not upload blink to my «arduino wifi»
Error is still the same:

avrdude: jtag3_open_common(): Did not find any device matching VID 0x03eb and PID list: 0x2145

I installed temporarily wine to test arduino ide for windows (zip version), this «arduino ide» can upload sketches to «arduino uno» with no problems via usb (com3) , but can not upload any sketch to «arduino uno wifi rev2». The error is the same as before. I uninstalled wine.

Thanks for your help.
What can I do ?
Carles.

karles:
I uninstalled arduino 1.8.5 from source fedora

That's probably the same thing, or similar. I recommend against installing the Arduino IDE via any package managers. The reason is that you will usually get an outdated and possibly 3rd party modified version of the Arduino IDE that is not well supported.

karles:
Error is still the same:

Is that when using Arduino IDE 1.8.8 downloaded from this website?

Did you uninstall Arduino IDE 1.8.5?

Hello,

--> Did you uninstall Arduino IDE 1.8.5? Yes, Now I have any version from Fedora.

--> Is that when using Arduino IDE 1.8.8 downloaded from this website? Yes I use only Arduino 1.8.8 from this website.

Error is still as screenshot.

Thanks.
Carles

Hello again,
I tested «Arduino wifi rev2» with «Arduino web editor».
I send you output console into debug.txt and screenshot error after test blink sketch.

What can I do ?
Carles.

debug.txt (30.9 KB)

Hello again,
I tested «Arduino uno wifi rev2» with Ubuntu 18.04 and with Lliurex 16 (a Gnu/Linux educational derivative from Ubuntu 16). I can not upload any sketch from these Linux distributions. I used Arduino 1.8.8 as only software to manage Arduino boards. So I send some files with Ubuntu’s terminal Output when I tested Arduino board to help developers to find this bug that make this board unusable for educational purposes with any Linux distribution.

Then I setup a virtual machine with virtualbox inside Fedora 29 with an Windows 7 as client. And then I tested my board «Arduino uno wifi rev2» inside and it ran with a blink sketch modified. Original blink sketch can be upload but it make nothing. I send now an screenshot with this blink sketch.

I I would like that Arduino developers review my adjoints, and they do a new version of Arduino for Linux that works really with «Arduino uno wifi rev2».

Thanks for your help.
Carles.

Ubuntu18.04_Terminal_Output.txt (5.33 KB)

Lliurex16(Ubuntu16)_Terminal_Output.txt (5.09 KB)

I initially had this same problem when I installed Arduino IDE 1.8.8 in Linux and tried to connect to the Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2.

I found this at (Arduino IDE Permision Denied For Upload, Ubuntu - Arduino Stack Exchange) which worked for me. I am using Linux Mint 19.1 (Ubuntu 18.04) and Arduino IDE 1.8.8 with no problems now.

Excerpt:

Arduino has added a script to the install to fix this problem. I found it after much annoyance trying to get it to work with all these suggestions.

In the arduino-1.8.8-linux64.tar.xz file that you download is a script called arduino-linux-setup.sh

run that from command line with your user name ./arduino-linux-setup.sh

It'll ask for the root password, and then ask you to reboot. After that you won't have any more port trouble.

If all else fails, try this link. I do not have the board but have for some devices had to install udev rules. This is covered at the end of the article.

1 Like

gbafamily:
If all else fails, try this link. I do not have the board but have for some devices had to install udev rules. This is covered at the end of the article.

https://majenko.co.uk/blog/diagnosing-arduino-problems-linux

Right. SOLVED. Use case:

Problem is reproducible in Linux, tested on Debian 9.8:

• board Arduino Uno WiFi rev2
  • user already in dialout group
  • access to /dev/ttyACM0 is granted and serial monitor shows arduino output
  • uploading the sketch fails with the following output:
avrdude: usbdev_open(): cannot open device: Permission denied avrdude: jtag3_open_common(): Did not find any device matching VID 0x03eb and PID list: 0x2145
  • uploading the code as root succeeds but warns: avrdude: usbdev_open(): WARNING: failed to set configuration 1: Device or resource busy

The problem seems to be the code Upload does not use the serial device /dev/ttyACMx but tries to access directly the USB device. Read write permission must be granted to the user also to direct access to the USB device. The solution pointed out by gbafamily is correct, changes must be done in udev to allow access to USB. If you trust a user group and want to give it access to the USB devices, granting access to all USB devices is a fast hack. This is the code to be executed by root:

# echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb", MODE="0660", GROUP="insert_your_group"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/00-usb-permissions.rules
# udevadm control --reload-rules
1 Like

karles:
Hello again,
I restarted my Fedora 29. Then I tested blink sketch on «Arduino uno wifi rev2» with the same error:

S'ha produït un error mentre s'enviava el programari.

Thanks for your help.
What can I do ?
Carles.

Hi guys!
I have the same problem with this new brand board. I use Ubuntu 16.04 with 1.8.9 IDE or Hourly version. I tried also with Win7 and Win10, but it was bad too.
Do you think it can be a board hardware problem?
Thanks in advance!

I have working with this freaking Uno Wifi Rev2 for several hours and still cannot upload a simple blink example into it. I did the same with Uno and it worked, but the same example is not uploading to this freaking borad.
I got sick of this.
there is not enough information found on Arduino website regarding the board and issue. that is the shame!!!

my error by the way:

########################################################
avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM3
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

hatef_8:
still cannot upload a simple blink example into it.

Please do this:

• (In the Arduino IDE) File > Preferences
  • Uncheck the checkbox next to "Show verbose output during: compilation"
  • Check the checkbox next to "Show verbose output during: upload
  • Click "OK"
  • Sketch > Upload
  • After the upload fails, you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar "Copy error messages" (or the icon that looks like two pieces of paper at the top right corner of the black console window in the Arduino Web Editor). Click that button.
  • In a forum reply here, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum's code tags markup to your reply.
  • Press "Ctrl + V". This will paste the upload output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.

hatef_8:
there is not enough information found on Arduino website regarding the board and issue.

If you have any specific suggestions for how the documentation can be improved, please let us know.

Hi guys.
My first problem with this brand new board:

Errore durante il caricamento dello sketch.

Also this after several unuseful attempts:

avrdude: usbdev_open(): WARNING: failed to set configuration 1: Device or resource busy
avrdude: WARNING: invalid value for unused bits in fuse "fuse5", should be set to 1 according to datasheet
This behaviour is deprecated and will result in an error in future version
You probably want to use 0xcd instead of 0xc9 (double check with your datasheet first).

Finally, even in the presence of an error:
avrdude: usbdev_open(): WARNING: failed to set configuration 1: Device or resource busy,
in my case, it is possible that it will be able to load the sketch but without turning on any led on the board, except for the On of the power supply.
Same thing by pressing the reset button: no light flashes, neither Tx nor Rx.

Also I got sick of this, I sent my board back and the shop refunded me.
But if the reliability problems are solved, I'm sure to buy it again!

ivanmeneo:
My first problem with this brand new board:

Are you using Linux?

I think the solution to that problem is described farther up in this thread:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=600558.msg4158135#msg4158135
Did you try that?

Hello,
I have the same problem of ivanmeneo even if the error is slightly different: instead of "usbdev_open()" I have "usbhid_open()".

I use Arduino Uno Wifi rev2 with Arduino IDE 1.8.9.

I don't use Linux but iOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

What should I do in this case?

Thank you.

I have the same problem using the uno wifi rev2 with Windows 10 edu and arduino IDE 1.8.9(Windows Store 1.8.21.0)

I can upload sketches over usb and have SimpleWebServerWifi running. The problem is uploading sketches when the cable is disconnected.

There is a connection and I can ping (pathping from command prompt):

Tracing route to arduino-d148.home [192.168.1.186]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
0 Huginn-win.home [192.168.1.150]
1 arduino-d148.home [192.168.1.186]

Computing statistics for 25 seconds...
Source to Here This Node/Link
Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
1/ 100 = 1% |
1 144ms 1/ 100 = 1% 0/ 100 = 0% arduino-d148.home [192.168.1.186]

Trace complete.

But I cannot upload a sketch without the cable.

I see alot of people with more or less the same problem running different OSs.

please see file with console output:

If anyone has a solution, please help!

foolishmountainman UNO WiFi Rev2 sketch upload output.txt (8.13 KB)

foolishmountainman:
I have the same problem using the uno wifi rev2 with Windows 10 edu and arduino IDE 1.8.9(Windows Store 1.8.21.0)

I can upload sketches over usb and have SimpleWebServerWifi running. The problem is uploading sketches when the cable is disconnected.

There is a connection and I can ping (pathping from command prompt):

Tracing route to arduino-d148.home [192.168.1.186]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 arduino-d148.home [192.168.1.186]

Computing statistics for 25 seconds...
Source to Here This Node/Link
Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
1/ 100 = 1% |
1 144ms 1/ 100 = 1% 0/ 100 = 0% arduino-d148.home [192.168.1.186]

Trace complete.

But I cannot upload a sketch without the cable.

I see alot of people with more or less the same problem running different OSs.

please see file with console output:

If anyone has a solution, please help!

it is not supported

kenharpster:
I initially had this same problem when I installed Arduino IDE 1.8.8 in Linux and tried to connect to the Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2.

I found this at (Arduino IDE Permision Denied For Upload, Ubuntu - Arduino Stack Exchange) which worked for me. I am using Linux Mint 19.1 (Ubuntu 18.04) and Arduino IDE 1.8.8 with no problems now.

Excerpt:

Arduino has added a script to the install to fix this problem. I found it after much annoyance trying to get it to work with all these suggestions.

In the arduino-1.8.8-linux64.tar.xz file that you download is a script called arduino-linux-setup.sh

run that from command line with your user name ./arduino-linux-setup.sh

It'll ask for the root password, and then ask you to reboot. After that you won't have any more port trouble.

Thank you, this answer was helpful to me. Also running arduino IDE as sudo and installing MegaAVR board when ran as sudo should help with this issue.