Forum Website Down

Nope. I am not even a moderator.

Bugger, sounds like you have experience with SMF forums.
Re-check my post above re time, is that a known problem?

oops, my mistake, I am confusing you with modeller, similar avatar colours, sorry, I must be blind :grin:

rockwallaby:
Also, I notice that in my profile setting where I can set the time zone offset, it always wants to guess and does not want to keep the value I give it.
Especially as we have daylight saving time, it is out by one hour. I hope if you are going to version 2.x of SMF it will be fixed.

Yes, I have a great deal of experience with SMF forums. The time offset seems to be working for me. I don't think that is an issue with SMF 1.1.18. But, there is another problem that the Admins haven't yet commented on - the irritating messages that you get when going back to your search results. On a forum like this, that really needs to get fixed. If people can't easily read all the results of a search, they'll simply just add more posts, of which there are enough already. Support for this version will be ending this year - support such as security updates.

If they are going down for a long maintenance task it would be the perfect time to upgrade the forum to SMF 2.0.4 - get it over with. It's free and shouldn't take all that long. I can't imagine why they wouldn't do it.

If they have any questions I'd be glad to answer them.

Well done on getting back up within the allotted time.

modeller:
it would be the perfect time to upgrade the forum to SMF 2.0.4 - get it over with. It's free and shouldn't take all that long. I can't imagine why they wouldn't do it.

Whatever it is - it never is "just" or "only" - there is always something that bites back. Which means you need to have a fallback plan.

I can see that they didnt "throw in an upgrade" during this cleanup/stabilasation exercise. That is a sign of mature handling of running a service.

Msquare:
Whatever it is - it never is "just" or "only" - there is always something that bites back. Which means you need to have a fallback plan.

Yes, so create a fallback plan ...

I can see that they didnt "throw in an upgrade" during this cleanup/stabilasation exercise. That is a sign of mature handling of running a service.

Who would want to "throw in" an upgrade? It's not that difficult - I know I've done it before. If they aren't going to upgrade then can we please get them to fix the "document expired" messages when going back to search results?

Woohoo! Site's back! Great job dev. team! Thank you so much!

The forum looks faster from here (Italy).

The forum seems painfully slow for me this morning.
Anybody else noticing this?

I could go and make a cup of coffee while I waited for the server to deliver the page.

It seems variable, so maybe the server is loaded down with many 'noobies' :stuck_out_tongue:

OK for me, but then I'm about 2000k closer to the server :slight_smile:

Rob

Today, it happened to me twice in a network with a T-carrier third level. I am talking about around a minute to refresh the page (Arduino Forum). I live in Texas.

For me at 1900 CET it was painfully slow - I even got timeouts on the browser. Now, at 0400 it is lightning fast. (I did not use it in the intervening time)

It started to improve after my cup of coffee this morning.
Yes, now, all is back to normal.

Maybe it was Lefty burning a special modded bootloader again :stuck_out_tongue:

@Msquare, you're a late night programmer, it must be just after 04h00 for you there!

I got a really weird error message a couple of hours ago. I should have recorded it.

A 503 error is what I got.
I did copy it to the clipboard to paste here, but I got distracted and overwrote the clipboard while doing something else.

rockwallaby:
A 503 error is what I got.
I did copy it to the clipboard to paste here, but I got distracted and overwrote the clipboard while doing something else.

Yea, that's what it was. I've never seen that error in all the years I've been surfing. :relaxed:

I live in Texas.

We all have our problems, in my case it's a really bad case of the cl...well you don't need to know that.

So you live in Texas, have Venezuela as your location and an avatar for the London Hack space. You get around :slight_smile:

Rob

rockwallaby:
@Msquare, you're a late night programmer, it must be just after 04h00 for you there!

No, an early riser :slight_smile:

I am impressed. How did you work out at 04h00 ?

Msquare:
...Now, at 0400 ...

:slight_smile:

modeller:
I got a really weird error message a couple of hours ago. I should have recorded it.

Was it a 503 error with a "Guru Meditation" and a message about "revarnish server"?

SurferTim:

modeller:

Was it a 503 error with a "Guru Meditation" and a message about "revarnish server"?

Yep.