IDE 1.8.5 (just updated from 1.8.1), USBasp programmer not recognized

I don't post much in here, but i seem to be at a loss.

I bought CrossRoads remote programmer, and found it would not upload the sketch HEX file with the bootloader attached (for a Mega2560). no big deal, i thought. i grabbed my USBasp programmer, that i have had much success with in the past, and re-upload the bootloader. now, i have not used it in a while, so i don't know at what point it became unrecognized, but it failed, stating:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 8), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

C:\Users\Travis\Documents\Backup\Arduino_1-8-5\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\Travis\Documents\Backup\Arduino_1-8-5\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cusbasp -Pusb -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xD8:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m 

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\Travis\Documents\Backup\Arduino_1-8-5\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbasp
avrdude: Warning: cannot query manufacturer for device: No such file or directory
Error while burning bootloader.
avrdude: Warning: cannot query product for device: No such file or directory
avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor='www.fischl.de' product='USBasp'

avrdude done.  Thank you.

in the windows device manager, the USBasp is recognized correctly.

any thoughts? i can't remember where i got my USBasp (somewhere on eBay), so i have no idea if there are updated drivers for it.

Thanks in advance for any help. :smiley:

~Travis

This is an issue if you're using the wrong drivers for your USBAsp. Use Zadig to install the correct one.

I'm trying to use a USBAsp with Arduino 1.8.5 on Windows 10 64-Bit. I've downloaded Zadig and installed the "libusbK USB Driver" for the USBasp, but I'm still getting the "avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor='www.fischl.de' product='USBasp'" error. My USBasp shows up in Device Manager under LibusbK devices. Not sure what is wrong. Been working on this all day with no success.

Would it matter if it was on a USB3.0 port instead of USB2.0?

Ugh. Replying to my own post. I can't believe it was that freaking simple.

Putting this here so maybe it shows up on Google for someone else in the future:

If you're using Windows 10 and a USBasp programmer and have installed the Zadig drives but still getting the error " avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor='www.fischl.de' product='USBasp' " with Arduino IDE 1.8.5 Make sure you're plugged in to a USB2.0 port.

I have been dealing with this for a whole day, and it turns out, I was plugging in to either one of my motherboard's USB3.1 ports or USB3.0 ports every time I changed plugs. My motherboard has USB ports all over, but only 2 are the old USB2.0 ports and they're on the other side of the rear face plate from all the other ports.

USB 3.0 is a known issue and is very "hit & miss"
USB 3.0 cables can also cause some problems too.

If you only have USB 3.0 then a decent powered USB 2.0 HUB will in almost all cases fix the issue.

Thanks You very much!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: