suggestions on wireless data transmission / BLE modules

Hi All,

I'd like to add wireless communication functionality to my sensor device which consists of sensors, battery and microcontroller. The requirements for such wireless communication modues are follows:

• Small size:
  • Low power consumption, a few mA or preferrably even less to extend the battery life
  • Easy to use:

Could you please recommend a device that would meet these requirements?

I was thinking perhaps to integrate a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) module. Although I'm not sure how hard it is to integrate a BLE module and I had no idea which device could suffice the requirements I mentioned earlier.

I like the ESP32. It has BLE (though I have not used it), it can sleep to save power. It is a low power consumption chip. It is logic level 3.3V so if you have the option of making it your main board and not adding it as a shield, I would choose that. It makes things much more straight forward in my opinion.

soleilsword:

• Small size:
    Could you please recommend a device that would meet these requirements?

I suspect the forum does not know what you mean by 'small', or indeed what the sensors are ?

the intended application is a wearable healthcare device, with a temperature sensor, pulse oximetry sensor with chip size of few millimeter by millimeter.

The ideal size of the BLE (or any other wireless connectivity module) should therefore in a similiar form factor, ideally a few millimeter by millimeter.

Do you have some recommendations?

ESP32 System on a Chip

Hi soleilsword,
Depends on what you want to do with the wireless interface.

If you want to connect a mobile to your sensor, then you can try TapNLink Primer (NFC + BLE).
= Link to description: New SDK brings instant HMI on mobiles to Arduino designs

There's a how to article for Arduino (Uno, Due and Mega) on GitHub:
= Arduino-Tap/howto.md at master · iotize-sas/Arduino-Tap · GitHub

The module is large by comparison to your description, but it would be very easy to implement. You don't code for the Bluetooth or NFC implementation. You just configure the module to retrieve data from your system and transmit it to the phone.

I'd be interested in knowing if you try the ESP32 or another module.

Cheers,
SG