STM32 "for the rest of us"

FYI to anyone using any of my Maple Mini examples:

Most standard libraries used for Arduino will not work unmodified on the STM32 platform. Therefore, rather than modifying them and renaming and adding them to the libraries in the user Arduino\libraries path, I simply keep the edited libraries in my sketch folder.

Therefore, depending on your OS you may need to change some things in my code!

Are you on Windows, Win7 or higher?
#include can be written as
#include "./filename.h" OR #include ".\filename.h" but under Linux/iOS you most likely can use only "./filename.h"

Anyway - if you have issues with my syntax, just remove the dot-slash and specify the filename as
#include "filename.h"
and see If that works for you. I can assure you that all of my examples compile, if they do not for you, the mostly fix is to double-check simple configuration;

• I will have compiled for Maple Mini Rev2
  • I use the 64-bit version of Windows 8.1 Pro on an Intel box with 4 Gig RAM
  • I run as system Administor
  • I run in "Test Mode"
  • I will have compiled using Arduino 1.6.1 or 1.6.2 nightly build
  • I may be using Roger's latest core or I may be behind by a week (or 2)
  • I often write code while enjoying a cold beer, or two. I am retired and do this for fun but I am not a professional programmer; rather i am an electronic engineer and I have been caught numerous times taking all manner of shortcuts.

I will try to check here once per day... but no promises. Everything to do with STM32 is sub-beta, consider it alpha.

Ray

For Mac users I can confirm that Ray's GLCD5110_BMP085 runs - after a few tweaks.
Some notes here

As Ray says, all modified supporting files can be stored in the same folder as the main .ino and so you can keep old Arduino files in the libraries folder and not have the STM32 files mess up the Arduino IDE.
Very convenient.

#include "filename.h" worked on the Mac

Hey Arduino users! order that fast STM32 ARM board and come and play here!
Then consider this page since we are supporting China and not Italy

Read this thread
but comment here, not there, if your C skills are like mine.....

mrburnette:
128x64 mono-OLED on the ARM Maple Mini

And: my post here

any chance you would make some code for I2C for OLED displays?
I'll tried your SPI example and it is working very well ;), error was because of linux,
would like to use bigger display like 1.3" or 2"+ OLED for my maple mini
all of the I have are I2C unfortunately

bigplik:
any chance you would make some code for I2C for OLED displays?
I'll tried your SPI example and it is working very well ;), error was because of linux,
would like to use bigger display like 1.3" or 2"+ OLED for my maple mini
all of the I have are I2C unfortunately

To some degree, we have:
I2C example

I have also used I2C with the BMP180 and that works well. So, it boils down to the display and library you intend on using.

If an Adafruit library, much of the work is already done since Adafruit uses a common GFX interface and only the display driver has to be updated. If you are proficient, you can use the existing OLED code as a template.

If another author, it is a new effort, but should not be impossible- just a bit more difficult unless one has the exact display for testing.

Ray

Edit:

In general, here is how it all fits together using the SSD1306 as an example.
In Adafruit_SSD1306.h you will see the prototypes for the class member functions:

class Adafruit_SSD1306 : public Adafruit_GFX {
 public:
  Adafruit_SSD1306(int8_t SID, int8_t SCLK, int8_t DC, int8_t RST, int8_t CS);     // Software SPI
  Adafruit_SSD1306(int8_t DC, int8_t RST, int8_t CS);                              // Hardware SPI
  Adafruit_SSD1306(int8_t RST);                                                    // I2C
<...>

In Adafruit_SSD1306.cpp, you will see:

Adafruit_SSD1306::Adafruit_SSD1306(int8_t SID, int8_t SCLK, int8_t DC, int8_t RST, int8_t CS) : Adafruit_GFX(SSD1306_LCDWIDTH, SSD1306_LCDHEIGHT) {
  cs = CS;
  rst = RST;
  dc = DC;
  sclk = SCLK;
  sid = SID;
  hwSPI = false;
}

// constructor for hardware SPI - we indicate DataCommand, ChipSelect, Reset 
Adafruit_SSD1306::Adafruit_SSD1306(int8_t DC, int8_t RST, int8_t CS) : Adafruit_GFX(SSD1306_LCDWIDTH, SSD1306_LCDHEIGHT) {
  dc = DC;
  rst = RST;
  cs = CS;
  hwSPI = true;
}

Adafruit_SSD1306::Adafruit_SSD1306(int8_t SID, int8_t SCLK, int8_t DC, int8_t RST, int8_t CS) : Adafruit_GFX(SSD1306_LCDWIDTH, SSD1306_LCDHEIGHT) {
  cs = CS;
  rst = RST;
  dc = DC;
  sclk = SCLK;
  sid = SID;
  hwSPI = false;
}

You will notice, that the Adafruit_SSD1306::Adafruit_SSD1306 is common 3 times, but only one can be used: h/w SPI, s/w SPI, or I2C. This methodology is called "overloading":

An overloaded declaration is a declaration that had been declared with the same name as a previously declared declaration in the same scope, except that both declarations have different arguments and obviously different definition (implementation).

When you call an overloaded function or operator, the compiler determines the most appropriate definition to use by comparing the argument types you used to call the function or operator with the parameter types specified in the definitions. The process of selecting the most appropriate overloaded function or operator is called overload resolution.

Study both my SPI and madias's I2C examples. That should get you a head-start on making necessary changes to existing libraries.

Good luck,

Ray

I have tested another generic board, this time from Shenzhen Technologies
Please see here

It seems to do all that my first one did and seems to be well made - just a bit bigger but all pins well labeled.

There is a schematic on my notes page.

If any developers with spare time drop in here please help with PWM.

I have an Arduino speaking wav speech files from a SD card and using PWM to create audio.

Now trying to do the same on STM32.

SD reading seems OK but any Arduino PWM code fails. I do see a built in Maple PWM option

I have yet to fully understand it.

Pulse Width Modulation - next for the user community??? :confused:

What Pwm support do you use on avrs? I would not have thought that the default pwm would be high enough in frequency for speech.

Ah

This is not going to work for you.

Use PWMWrite

To make AnalogWrite compatible with the AVR, the pin mode is set to PWM inside AnalogWrite, so its not going to be fast enough for speech

Set the pin mode as in the leaflabs docs and then call pwmwrite

I'm pretty sure its working, as I thought the servo library uses it

However, I'm not sure how you are going to output speech on 400Hz PWM

Your code must be doing something AVR specific to change the pwm rate, and you'll need to do something different to the AVR code to change the PWM rate on the STM

The chips are just too different for the code to just work.

Some of the wav playing Arduino files do use PWM but (I was wrong) the one I pasted in for my system seems to just drive output pins in a "home build" PWM. I will do some work and try to ask a better informed question.

.....or just hope for ready made STM32 wav player code to appear spontaneously ........ :smiling_imp:

(I once wrote some real C code to make my router talk - :astonished: - but I think I may have lost too many brain cells since then)

http://www.sunspot.co.uk/Projects/SWEEX/beeper.html
Bottom of page

Hi Sunspot,

I just wrote a nice long technical repsonse but I hit a wrong keystroke and it was all gone in a flash :frowning:

Anyway, here goes again, but expurgated.

Here is some code I use to generate a high frequency square wave

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
     setupCameraClock(PA8);
     Serial.begin(115200);
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

void setupCameraClock(int pin)
{
  #define CLOCK_COUNT 3
  timer_dev *timerDevice  = PIN_MAP[pin].timer_device;
  uint8 timerChannel         = PIN_MAP[pin].timer_channel;
  pinMode(pin,PWM);
  timer_pause(timerDevice);
  timer_set_reload(timerDevice,CLOCK_COUNT);
  timer_set_prescaler(timerDevice,timerChannel);
  timer_set_compare(timerDevice, timerChannel, CLOCK_COUNT);
  timer_resume(timerDevice);
}

I forget the precise frequiency, but its at least 8Mhz

So if you adapt that code, you can get the PWM on your audio output in running at a nice value e.g. 100Khz

Then if you look at PWM write it does this

void pwmWrite(uint8 pin, uint16 duty_cycle) {
    if (pin >= BOARD_NR_GPIO_PINS) {
        return;
    }
    timer_dev *dev = PIN_MAP[pin].timer_device;
    uint8 cc_channel = PIN_MAP[pin].timer_channel;
    ASSERT(dev && cc_channel);
    timer_set_compare(dev, cc_channel, duty_cycle);
}

And looking at what set_timer_compare does

static inline void timer_set_compare(timer_dev *dev,
                                     uint8 channel,
                                     uint16 value) {
    __io uint32 *ccr = &(dev->regs).gen->CCR1 + (channel - 1);
    *ccr = value;
}

So if you cache *ccr in to a global variable in setup, and just write new values you can adjust the PWM very quickly

So to play from SD, once Victor gets the SD DMA working, you should be able to double buffer DMA into ram, then use another timer interrupt to take the data from the double buffer and play it.

You also need a low pass audio filter, perhaps with the 3dB point at around 5kHz would probably do

However, this isn't the simplest of projects.

Roger
Thanks for the response.
Low pass with solder!

STM32 .WAV playing.

This is the AVR code that I was trying to convert

PWM but perhaps "not as we know it"

Good luck with porting that code.

Unfortunately its full of direct register access stuff to AVR which isn't going to be the same on STM32 or any other hardware.

I hope it has enough comments, as you are going to need to go back to first principals to work out what the AVR code actually does, and then recode again in STM specific code.

It's probably doing some soft of adaptive pulse with modulation, either on a fixed or dynamic timer interrupt.

Personally, I'd just write a basic test program first using a sine wave table eg. 1k of ints. And try to get that to work, before I'd attempt all the complexity of SD card reading at the same time

Problems w/ OneWire and DS18B20

UPDATE:
independently confirm to be an issue with Maple & Maple Mini clones - but not an issue on generic boards. This has been placed on the issues list and will be prioritized for research and correction. I'll report here when corrected.

Response to @turkogluky: link

Summary: the current version of OneWire appears to freeze the Maple uC.

Test procedure:
I used a Nano to prove the DS18B20 was working; the 4.7K pull-up was required at 5V.

I used a new STM32 Maple Mini clone tested with my blink-count script to confirm the Maple Mini was fully functional.

When I went to the
\Documents\Arduino\hardware\STM32\STM32F1\libraries\OneWire\examples\DS18x20_Temperature
script, it would not compile on my Windows 8.1 box.

The error was traced to the fact that for some crazy reason, the OneWire lib was being pulled from:
\Documents\Arduino\libraries\OneWire
and not from
\Documents\Arduino\hardware\STM32\STM32F1\libraries\OneWire\

I fixed that by including the entire path:
#include "\Documents\Arduino\hardware\STM32\STM32F1\libraries\OneWire\OneWire.h"

The program compiled: (1.6.1 shipping)

Sketch uses 15,388 bytes (14%) of program storage space. Maximum is 108,000 bytes.
Global variables use 4,528 bytes of dynamic memory.

HOWEVER:
The instantiation of OneWire causes the uC to either freeze or appear to freeze. Pressing RESET goes into DFU but when the user program starts, nothing. Worst, the COMn port does not enumerate on Windows, so no debug output.

I changed Serial. to Serial1. and got a clean compile, but again, OneWire freezes the uC.

Ray

Just a note that the Beestore Maple Mini clone (whose PCB is a different layout than the original or Baite version) also works fine with the STM32 repo. Have had a couple for a while but never got around to trying them until this week, when I made a big push to get a fresh 1.6.1 install running all of the STM32/core13/TinyCore1/esp8266 cores.

Just a quick update

OneWire only seems to work on generic STM32 boards

I have posted a fix to the main thread, but it involves a slight difference in the way the OneWire class is initialised - I won't bore you with the technical details

There were various issues with OneWire, so it has now been renamed to OneWireSTM

See the other thread for the technical details, or just download the relevant files and enjoy :wink:

hi,
is there any tutorial how to use ST-Link with arduinoIDE to program STM32?
i can do it by usb, but if want to program single STM32 chip on custom board
don't know how to set it

Stm32 to flash. Board type had STLink option on windows

There are no tutorials for this on the arduino but there may be general tutorials for stm32 in general e.g. On YouTube

I've checked YT, still didn't manage, there were some programming stuff about discovery boards and different than arduinoIDE program uploaders, some ST-Link tools,
I have an option on my IDE for upload method as ST-Link, but it shown me a message that it can't connect into st-link device - however windows seen st-link in device manager