Sound activated lights/ Multiple Inputs and outputs

Good morning all,

I am currently working on a project for school, and have run into a brick wall. I want to take an audio input, run it through 5 filters, then each filter feeds it's own input pin, and use that input to turn on and off a corresponding output based on voltage levels.

I've managed to get the filters to pass the bands I want, and I've managed to have the Arduino turn on and off an output as I scroll through frequencies on a function generator. It's when I put the two together than I run into issues and since I'm also learning the language as I go, I have no idea where to go from here.

I did find GitHub - elmerfud/music_color: Arduino using analogue input w/FFT

But the code seems to be beyond my skill level at the moment, which is admittedly low...

Here is the code I have so far... a couple qualifiers.

1. I have the outputs defaulting to high because the MOSFETs I'm using seem to turn off the lights when a high is detected, and turn them on when a low is detected.

2. The number in the (outputValue > XXX) statements were simply me trying to troubleshoot and figure out what the program was doing.

Any and all help would be appreciated...

const int analogPin0 = 0;   // Analog input pin for incoming signal
const int analogPin1 = 0;
const int analogPin2 = 0;
const int analogPin3 = 0;
const int analogPin4 = 0;

double sensorValue0 = 0;// value read from analog Pin
double sensorValue1 = 0;
double sensorValue2 = 0;
double sensorValue3 = 0;
double sensorValue4 = 0;

int outputValue0 = 0;  // value output to the PWM (analog out)
int outputValue1 = 0;
int outputValue2 = 0;
int outputValue3 = 0;
int outputValue4 = 0;

void setup() {
  pinMode(22, OUTPUT);  //Set Pins 22, 24, 26, 28, 30 as output
  pinMode(24, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(26, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(28, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(30, OUTPUT);
}
void loop() {
  digitalWrite (22, HIGH);  // (Channel 1, Pin 22, Variable 0) clears a LOW signal on output 22
  // read the analog in value:
  sensorValue0 = analogRead(analogPin0);   //reads the analog in value        
  // map it to the range of the analog out:
  outputValue0 = map(sensorValue0, 0, 1023, 0, 255);  //maps the incoming signal to an output 
  if (outputValue0 > 100 )            //compares the outgoing waveform to a set number to see if t's high enough
  { 
    digitalWrite (22, LOW);      //if high enough, then pin 22 is set LOW
  }
  else{
    digitalWrite (22, HIGH);        //otherwise it's HIGH
  }  
                         //delay so ADC can settle down

digitalWrite (24, HIGH);  // (Channel 2, Pin 24, Variable 1) clears a LOW signal on output 24
  sensorValue1 = analogRead(analogPin1);   //reads the analog in value        
  outputValue1 = map(sensorValue1, 0, 1023, 0, 255);  //maps the incoming signal to an output 
  if (outputValue1 > 255)            //compares the outgoing waveform to a set number to see if t's high enough
  { 
    digitalWrite (24, LOW);      //if high enough, then pin 24 is set LOW
  }
  else{
    digitalWrite (24, HIGH);        //otherwise it's HIGH
  }  

{
  digitalWrite (26, HIGH);  //  (Channel 3, Pin 26, Variable 2)clears a LOW signal on output 26
  sensorValue2 = analogRead(analogPin2);   //reads the analog in value        
  outputValue2 = map(sensorValue2, 0, 1023, 0, 255);  //maps the incoming signal to an output 
  if (outputValue2 > 0)            //compares the outgoing waveform to a set number to see if t's high enough
  { 
    digitalWrite (26, LOW);      //if high enough, then pin 26 is set LOW
  }
  else{
    digitalWrite (26, HIGH);        //otherwise it's HIGH
  }

{
  digitalWrite (28, HIGH);  // (Channel 4, Pin 28, Variable 3) clears a LOW signal on output 28
  sensorValue3 = analogRead(analogPin3);   //reads the analog in value        
  outputValue3 = map(sensorValue3, 0, 1023, 0, 255);  //maps the incoming signal to an output 
  if (outputValue3 > 0 )            //compares the outgoing waveform to a set number to see if t's high enough
  { 
    digitalWrite (28, LOW);      //if high enough, then pin 28 is set LOW
  }
  else{
    digitalWrite (28, HIGH);        //otherwise it's HIGH
  }

{
  digitalWrite (30, HIGH);  //  (Channel 5) clears a LOW signal on output 30
  sensorValue4 = analogRead(analogPin4);   //reads the analog in value        
  outputValue4 = map(sensorValue4, 0, 1023, 0, 255);  //maps the incoming signal to an output 
  if (outputValue4 > 0 )            //compares the outgoing waveform to a set number to see if t's high enough
  { 
    digitalWrite (30, LOW);      //if high enough, then pin 30 is set LOW
  }
  else{
    digitalWrite (30, HIGH);        //otherwise it's HIGH
  }
}
}
}
}

Edit: I have found this, Graphic Equalizer Display Filter - MSGEQ7 - COM-10468 - SparkFun Electronics? would this work any better since it only passes 1 frequency per channel instead of a bandwidth?

Much easier to use that chip, plenty of examples, and you free all those 5 pins you used for the inputs.

Much appreciated, with the bit of reading I did on that chip, if I understand correctly. With each change in frequency, there's a corresponding change in the voltage. So I could simply read what voltage is coming in, and turn on and off the outputs as the voltage changes?

That sounds a lot easier than my initial plan...

Also, is there anything I can do to save the initial plan, I've ordered the chips but want to keep working on this until they get here since I don't have a lot of time. And if they get lost in the mail or something, I don't want to be depending on those chips.

Using individual filters.

And then on to the Arduino...
http://makeprojects.com/Project/Digital-LED-Color-Organ/424/1
which has some code there... :slight_smile:

Much appreciated Lakes, this path is showing more and more promise as I research it.

Once again Lakes, thanks... I actually got this up and running with the MSGEQ7, and it went flawlessly at the presentation for school. I'm getting a video of it today and I'll find a place to put it later..

I have a new question for anyone, as I have no idea where to even start for this.

I have this project so that you can plug it into anything with a headphone jack, so I can play it off of my phone, the problem is the speakers. I have a splitter that feeds the lights as well as a set of speakers when it plays, depending on what set of speakers I use (i have 2) the lights will work with one set, but stay on with the other set... the music is unaffected.

Anyone know what might be causing that?