Powering 12V DC LEDs

Hi, I bought a set of 12V DC powered LED's, is it possible to use a lower voltage battery to supply them, make them portable? or use an old mid 2010 Macbook Pro battery to power them?

Battery Specs:

A1322
Capacity:
5500-5800 mAh
Watt Hours (Wh):

TY

denski:
Hi, I bought a set of 12V DC powered LED's, is it possible to use a lower voltage battery to supply them

Yes, but first you have to boost the voltage.

lg, couka

How much current do the LEDs draw, what is the battery voltage?

You indicate "12v LEDs" - typically, LEDs are not rated for 12v - they are rated for a specific current and the forward drop across them is specified. There are ones out there called 12v LEDs, but they have some sort of built in current limiting - either a resistor or some sort of active limiting like a switcher etc. Without knowing just what you have, it is difficult to say just how you can power them.

gpsmikey:
You indicate "12v LEDs" - typically, LEDs are not rated for 12v - they are rated for a specific current and the forward drop across them is specified. There are ones out there called 12v LEDs, but they have some sort of built in current limiting - either a resistor or some sort of active limiting like a switcher etc. Without knowing just what you have, it is difficult to say just how you can power them.

You can't assume that. There was some other thread here where the OP had a "12V" LED strip, but it was just 4 high power LEDs in series with no current regulator. He sacrificed one with a lab power supply to find that out.

Sheesh - talk about a horrid design - anything labeled for use anywhere near 12v should be able to tolerate a range typical in an automotive environment. Not having current regulation on LEDs with a variable voltage to them is just asking to let the magic smoke out. :o

gpsmikey:
Sheesh - talk about a horrid design - anything labeled for use anywhere near 12v should be able to tolerate a range typical in an automotive environment. Not having current regulation on LEDs with a variable voltage to them is just asking to let the magic smoke out. :o

Typical for the labeling standards of cheap Chinese crap. That's why he was willing to let the magic smoke out of one of them using a lab power supply to record the I-V characteristic.