MY FIRST SUCCESSFUL UNO UPLOAD!!!!!!!

I had to go to a windows 7 computer, allow access to Arduino on the Windows Firewall and the AVG firewall on Google Chrome too. I then had to reinstall the driver.

I could not get windows 8.1, 10, or XP to run it!

Good Luck to you as well!

A word of caution - my firewall just alerted me to a threat that it stopped. It was trying to access Arduino create files on my computer!

I presume you are using the CREATE editor ?

If so there should have been at least 2 possibly 3 pop ups and one would have been about firewall permissions.
You had to say yes to those pop-ups to properly configure the online editor.

Missing one could leave you with some issues using it.

You may also want to try using and INCOGNITO page to open CREATE without any add ons to verify if your regular browser has an add on that conflicts with CREATE.

It is also a good idea to add the create locations to avasts EXCLUSIONS list

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\ArduinoCreateAgent
C:\Users\yourname\AppData.arduino-create

Avast did its job as you are actually writing code online which can be interpreted as nefarious to some security software. However in this case it is a FALSE POSITIVE if you are using CREATE EDITOR.

thank you. But it actually quarantined this particular event, rather than block it in traffic

I had to switch to Windows 7. I had to let Arduino "traffic" on both the Windows firewall and the other security on my system.

I could not get ardino to work on Windows 8 with "traffic" allowed for Arduino. Nor would it work on Windows 10 or XP.

A STRONG WORD OF CAUTION: MY ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE "QUARANTINED" A FILE THAT TRIED TO DOWNLOAD TO MY ARDUINO CREATE FILE AS I POSTED TO THIS BOARD

SO THERE ARE SECURITY ISSUES TO CONSIDER HERE!!!!

Here is my thread from before.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=565575.0

@ricronkhite

There are many thousands of users with CREATE.
If there were really a security issue I am pretty sure we would have heard about it by now.

As I explained in your other post it is very likely a "FALSE POSITIVE" from an OVER AGGRESSIVE antivirus which is something we have seen.

It pays to learn about these types of thing a little before trying to scare people with an all caps statement.

Let google be your friend before you continue a poor narrative.

We've seen these false positives over and over from various anti-virus software!

ricronkhite:
A STRONG WORD OF CAUTION: MY ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE "QUARANTINED" A FILE THAT TRIED TO DOWNLOAD TO MY ARDUINO CREATE FILE AS I POSTED TO THIS BOARD

SO THERE ARE SECURITY ISSUES TO CONSIDER HERE!!!!

Very unlikely this will turn out to be anything to worry about.

@Karma: 464

It's strange, however, that the virus warning/quarantine happened when I was on this board; not installing the arduino create software...

NEWBIE 19 KARMA 0

"FALSE POSITIVE"

Go PM for any further discussion !

It was a security issue for me. See my post here

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=565575.0

@ricronkhite I'm skeptical this is the same problem as yours (though it's not at all clear what your problem actually was). Antivirus software interference is a frequent cause of compilation failures but I've never seen it cause a board to not show up in Device Manager.

The antivirus software kicked in after using this forum, not installing Arduino?!!!

@ricronkhite

Thats not quite true and I quote directly from your post "my firewall just alerted me to a threat that it stopped. It was trying to access Arduino create files on my computer!"

Arduino CREATE is NOT part of the forum.

But that is the file it tried to install itself in!!!

??

Off-topic thread split.

@ricronkhite

ricronkhite:
But that is the file it tried to install itself in!!!

??

And do you have ANY details apart from your seemingly blind assertions ?

Do you have ARDUINO CREATE actually INSTALLED ?

Are you using the regular DESKTOP IDE when this happens ?

Or BOTH ?

In either case there may be a REQUEST for firewall permissions.
In the case of CREATE it is mandatory to use CREATE just the same as many other NON Arduino programs.

In the case of the desktop IDE you can turn off the option to check for updates in the preferences.

At no time have you offered much apart from jumping onto other peoples posts shouting that there is something nefarious in arduino.

I would suggest if you think it is a FORUM problem then to put complete details (not assertions) into the specific section of the forum that deals with this type of issue.

If you think it is a CREATE issue then that too has its very own section and once again COMPLETE DETAILS not just "my firewall went off"

I am quite tired of coming across your "My firewall went off" posts.

You have been given opinions of others besides myself and have not once put up any proof of what you say.
Arduino is a technical field where DETAILS mean EVERYTHING.

Everyone around who posts on a regular basis takes claims of nefarious forum activity quite seriously.
This is the same for nefarious program activity

Either you have them or you dont...If you dont then please desist from crying wolf at any opportunity.

P.U.O.S.U.

I believe that is all of it. If anyone spots more @ricronkhite FUD posts please let me know.

@ricronkhite, stop cross-posting. Stop spreading FUD. This is your only warning.

If you want help, answer the questions.

If you want to be helpful, answer the questions.