potentiometer issue

my pontiometer is not working for some reason, can someone tell me why?

It is not really clear what you are asking.
If you are asking if you can apply 220v across the pot, the normal answer would be NO!

Would you like to explain what you want to accomplish? We may be able to suggest options.

I was pondering whether i could utilize the same pots for air conditioning use of 220v 50 hz or do they have exceptional pots for air conditioning application.

If there's a pot for the A/C thermostat, the thermostat circuitry usually operates at low voltage and then there's a relay to control the high voltage/high current stuff.

Any component used in mains circuitry must be mains rated unless you can prove its safe
for it to be down-rated (prove to the satisfaction of Underwriters Labs for instance)... The issue
with mains is the switching spikes and lightning transients that go up to kilovolt levels, so
mains rated is not the same thing as rated for 220V (say). Mains equipment in particular
has the ability to start fires if not adequately rated. (Oh, and kill people directly)

However I suspect the previous poster is right and this is not directly involved in mains
circuitry at all... More information perhaps?

antoniobranco:
pot portrayal -

little box-like,blue in shading with a middle white pivoting surface which can be turned with a little screw driver just.

It is a breadboard pot.

This is called a "trimpot".
A small variable resistor, not made for continious adjustment, but for the final "finetuning" of a circuit.

Not sure what a single part has to do with an airconditioning.
But it seems I'm not the only one.
Leo..