Long Range Narrow Beam Ultrasonic

Ok Ultrasonic in Cave;-

We need meet following prerequisites:

1. Man’s Best Friend: make sure dogs are happy with it, since all dogs can hear ultrasound.
  2. No bother bats in cave. if there are. Bats use a variety of ultrasonic ranging (echolocation) techniques to detect their prey. They can detect frequencies beyond 100 kHz, possibly up to 200 kHz.

I found bats are took care already, but how about dog?

scrotty digs = scrotty dogs, you got me. at least we have same concerned.

sonnyyu:
We have an other thread talk about water level measurement;-

The method is discussed at thread:

Ultrasound
Pressure sensor
X band Proximity Sensor
Ku band Proximity Sensor
K band Proximity Sensor
Sound
315MHz/433MHz rf-link Arduino (radio waves blocked by water)
Bluetooth Proximity Sensor
VLF radio waves (3–30 kHz) (radio waves through by water)
Laser-based water level sensor
Capacitance proximity sensor
Resistance proximity sensor
Measurement the pump discharge pressure (if there is pump)
Float switch

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,160378.0.html

at the thread, We are chatting about one single big transducer- electrostatic panels ( Made in UK) and flat ribbon drive even piezo buzzer for perfect in phase a flat wavefront.

cr0sh:
Something I'm curious about: Will we ever see any of your code, schematics, or physical setup, sirch?

Same here, I will be waiting few days for it since now is weekend, otherwise I will post very simple long range narrower beam laser implementation ( only use 2 ops + 1 dds + 1 ASIC ) and hijack your thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

just kidding.

sirch:
Yes, I have developed a laser based system (see the CREG Journal a couple of issues ago). The thing with laser systems is they are generally beyond me to integrate into a larger system (can't build a modulated or time-of-flight system and hacking something on to a ready build system is very hard, I've tried).

There are 3 major brands name laser based system - Fluke, Bosch, Leica. to make any of them to co-op with DIY or EDU application is tough, if not impossible. However there are so many Chinese made cheap systems, might come out few person shack... All we need is ASIC (application-specific integrated circuit).

Can you post your CREG Journal article? highly interesting.

cr0sh:
Something I'm curious about: Will we ever see any of your code, schematics, or physical setup, sirch?

Most probably, most of my stuff is written up and my personal code is open sourced - http://interestingto.me.uk/

Thing is, you go to all that trouble and at best no one ever looks at it.

We do need a find and link-to resource. It's not easy to say the least to sift through the piles of posts and sites to research any topic. Perhaps a Wikipedia, even a card catalog.....

sonnyyu:
Plan C;-

GM100DU USB Photoelectric Laser Distance Meter

price: $100.00 USD qty

distance:100 M
accuracy: +/- 1.5 mm

search ebay, USB only no TTL UART.

Nice, shame it doesn't seem to have control via USB, only downloading measurement history.

How about Plan B?

sonnyyu:
Plan B;-

LR4- Interface Board for Fluke 414D Price: $149.00

FLUKE 414D /Newark Price: $129.95

Total: $280.00

http://www.porcupineelectronics.com/

distance:50 M
accuracy: +/- 2.0 mm

whole thread;- More powerful distance sensor? DISREGUARD COST. - General Electronics - Arduino Forum

GM100DU is integrated with mOS V1.

mOS V1 Visible software
As an advanced e-product, mOSV 1.0 visible system is specified for laser measurement platform, which makes hardware and software works perfectly and allows users have amazing experience. Now the question is if mOS support USB port control.

sonnyyu:
How about Plan B?

sonnyyu:
Plan B;-

LR4- Interface Board for Fluke 414D Price: $149.00

FLUKE 414D /Newark Price: $129.95

Total: $280.00

http://www.porcupineelectronics.com/

distance:50 M
accuracy: +/- 2.0 mm

whole thread;- More powerful distance sensor? DISREGUARD COST. - General Electronics - Arduino Forum

That's the kind of solution that would be great but that's a bit too expensive for me. It seems a shame that you have to go to all that trouble to get an interface to one of these devices - just the laser device as a module (no keypad/display) with serial comms would be ideal.

The borehole being too crowded to use echo timing, if you put a not-large open end pipe all the way down then you could time echo inside of that. It wouldn't have to be thick or strong either.

Who is porcupineelectronics.com?

Private, Registration PORCUPINEELECTRONICS.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains By Proxy, LLC
DomainsByProxy.com
14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

http://who.godaddy.com/whoischeck.aspx?domain=PORCUPINEELECTRONICS.COM

Why private registration?

Take look inside;-

Now you should have a clue why an egg cost more than a hen. $149.00 v.s. $129.95

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have finally got this built, tested and written up so I thought I'd put a link up here to the article in case it is of any help to anyone

http://interestingto.me.uk/Open%20Source/adventures-ultsasonics

sirch:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have finally got this built, tested and written up so I thought I'd put a link up here to the article in case it is of any help to anyone

It would be interesting to know more details behind the beam-forming; your article only details a simple ultrasonic sensor setup, but doesn't give any details (other than a picture of the 7-element array) that would facilitate others to build and experiment with it.

You know - the common refrain here, "post your schematics - post your code".

So I am curious why you didn't post this information in the article?

I second the above request for more information. Did you optimize the phase shifting in the receiver array to form the tightest beam, or is that just done by positioning the detector elements? The link to the online calculator didn't work for me.

On the topic of hackable laser rangefinders, recently some cheaper versions have become available, and one of them, the Uni-T UT380B (available for $60 from dx.com), has an easily accessible serial port that outputs the measurement. Range finding can be initiated via the keyboard connector. Here are the details: Arduino laser distance meter So, you can have a self-contained computerized module that does not need to be read by a human. The UT380B is supposedly accurate to +/- 2 mm, up to 45 m. I just got mine from DX.com, and it seems to be very well made and reasonably rugged. I haven't hacked into it yet, but that is on the list.

cr0sh - I didn't post it because there is nothing to it, 7 ultrasonic transducers in parallel with a 1mH inductor in series. The size of the inductor depends on the capacitance of the particular transducers you ar using. Yee I could spend another precious day writing a better article but no one would look at it. It's easier to answer subsidiary questions when the occur. It would, of course have been a lot easier to post nothing...

jremington - thanks, that's interesting, that unit wasn't available when I was looking (over a year ago). My experience with those kind of devices is that taking a readings is quite slow (they have to modulate the laser beam at several different frequencies and take readings at each) so scanning it around could also be slow.

sirch:

Nice! Have you thought about taking reflective measurements by using a single beam-forming array for both transmission and reception?

Thought about it but not tried it. From rough surfaces it could be challenging to find the reflection with a narrow beamwidth receiver.

sirch:
Thought about it but not tried it. From rough surfaces it could be challenging to find the reflection with a narrow beamwidth receiver.

That's why I suggested using just one array for both transmission and reception.