WiFly

On Dec.10,2011 I bought the Arduino UNO SMD as well as the WiFly shield. A few mistakes in ordering were:

1. the shield headers are not included, you must buy them separately.

2. To get better reception a WRL-00558 2.4GHz Duck Antenna RP-SMA - Large and a Interface Cable RP-SMA to U.FL adapter were purchased.

3. The USB to connect the Arduino to the computer was also not included.

When attempting to run the Auto Connect Sketch with Arduin 1.0 provided from sparkfun WiFly Wireless SpeakJet Server - SparkFun Electronics I ran into 4 key issues before I was able to connect.

1. #include <pins_arduino.h> //------------------this header had to be included for SPI pin configuration.
    2.struct SPI_UART_cfg SPI_Uart_config = {0x60,0x00,0x03,0x10}; //----------the first HEX char was changed from 0x50 to 0x60 for a 14MHz crystal.
    3.Serial.write(incoming_data); //---------------------changed from Serial.print(incoming_data,BYTE); because BYTE is no longer supported.
  2. // Enter command mode
    SPI_Uart_print("$$$");
    delay(5000); ////////---------------------this delay was changed from 500 to 5000 to allow the WiFly to enter CMD mode properly.

Hope this Helps!
Morgan John Anderson

Thanks for the update MJA1

I am having what i term as strange problem with my wifly....Before it was working fine but when I did a factory reset through passing commands on teraterm terminal it goess off randomly....i will take power out and leave it for a while (10 minutes) then it goes on but goes off again...going off i mean no LED blinking...what could be the problem here?....please help...thanks

I'm curious to why you performed a factory reset on the Wifly device?

I needed to reset it because it wasn't responding to any commands passed through either the serial monitor or tera term terminal. it would just hang but after resetting it was back to normal except this strange condition.

Could it be damaged somehow??..last week it would only go off when it is associated to a network but now no matter what it only blinks for a few seconds then off it goes...I am almost done with my project if only i can solve this problem...

It's always good to buy a couple, so you can quickly replace the one you suspect it's broken.

Although I doubt it's broken, did you try reading the settings after the factory reset? Go through them one by one trying to understand their meaning based on the documentation.