TinysSine SIM900 and external power supply

I have a problem with this SIM900 gsm shield:

When running the UNO on external battery source (6V 12,0 Ah) the gsm shield just power off, when running on power from usb port it runs fine. I think this behavior is a bit strange I thought that the battery would deliver more amps than the usb port.

Do I need to get a battery with higher voltage like 9V or 12V, is that the solution?

Anyone with similar experience with powering Arduino Uno with a shield on external power source?

1 Like

How are you connecting the battery to the Arduino? The minimum recommended through the barrel jack is 7 volts due to losses caused by the regulator.

I use the DC input plug. So maybe I should buy a new 12V battery?

It's always a tricky one, because the greater the input voltage the more is burnt off as heat to reduce it to the 5 volts. This is why you often find 9 volt wall warts / power supplies advertised to power the Arduino.

Have you explored the buck / boost converter path? Convert to 5 volts and feed into the 'bus'? If it's a semi permanent job you may want to remove the voltage regulator or add a diode to avoid a reverse bias situation. (More details: Powering the arduino with a 5V power supply - Microcontrollers - Arduino Forum)

hello mr.

If you need a good and best solution for your project and problem also I have this problem with my project and I solve it use POWER SUPPLY of desktop and get all voltage that I need from it..

arduino and GSM it's use 12 volt and its work fine

How did you go with the power supply?
When you say it runs fine when connected to the USB port is that for data related requests or just sms's and calls? I'm able to use basic phone functions via the USB but I can't send or recieve data. I'm not sure if it's to do with my network access or not enough power. I suspect it's not enough power but I'd be interested to hear how you've gone.

I have the same board and the end goal is to run it off a solar power battery pack.

http://www.everbuying.net/product523892.html

I've successfully used this power pack to send and receive text messages, however I haven't been able to connect to a server or run any sort of data transfer requests. I believe it's because there is not enough power delivered to the shield but if anyone else can comment on it I'd greatly appreciate it.

What battery configuration do you guys use for this?

I'm going to pick up one of these lipo riders (or equivalent) for the solar panel and battery http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/LiPo-Rider-Pro-p-992.html but when researching the battery required most say they have a max current of 1A. Without having successfully used gprs data function I'm not sure if I need 1 or 2A.

Hi sir how i can send a sms to any phone using module GSM SIM900A v3.8.2 i traying all code but it does ont working for me please give me the solution if you can sir.

Hello .

I need an advice.
I interfasing arduino Uno with GSM 900. The power supply for both shields come from an stand-alone batteries. Everything is working fine.
The problem is that the battery 9v from the arduino uno drains quickly when I start up from the UNO because the same moment gives power supply also and to GSM900. If i am doing start up from the GSM900 power supply to UNO doesnt send The opposite is not happen at all.
how i can power my arduino uno without gives supply until i said so to gsm 900.
Any help will be appreciate!!