Resetting the Arduino UNO board (AN EXAMPLE OF POOR QUALITY MANUFACTURING)

:frowning: I purchased the basic starter kit for instructional purposes. the board could run each of the first 6 basic examples - - - once, - - - maybe twice (after 3 or 4 unsuccessful tries), then finally would no longer reset to run again (loss of COM port) HMMM (clue #1).

:frowning: I tried all your suggestions as posted to fix this problem, I disconnected wires to connect (which made some of the programs useless in nature being unplugged when started) HMMMM

• like changing mice or disconnecting it from the computer or changing computers or operating systems or USB cables or chewing a TUMS but no luck in change of operation of the UNO. HMMMM (Clue #2)

• I then tried unsuccessfully writing a reset routine to perform before each test - - - no go, THEN tried using a reset routine from several other web resources - - - no go (they would not compile either). HMMMM (Clue #3).

SO - - - I then examined the board and cleared the numerous solder splashes from the backside but this messy processing was not the cause either. BEING AN EXPERIENCED C++ DATA ACQUISITION PROGRAMMER AND FIXTURE BUILDER, I TRIED THE OLD 'MANUAL RESET ROUTINE'.

EUREKA - - - I disconnected the board from the USB cable and set it down firmly on a common steel wool scrubbing pad. . . . . reset works !!!!! every time !!!!! thank you for this, I now can also show my class how NOT to test a board by not confirming the RESET actually functions. . . . be sure and include this FAILURE in your manual. My students will enjoy using this 'duct tape' fix to make your UNO actually function more than just once per day. . . .

You have another thread about this: Problems with Starter Kit - The Arduino Starter Kit - Arduino Forum

I am locking this one.