Hands-on with the Arduino Star OTTO Light

(Note to the moderators - it would be useful to have an Arduino Star OTTO section under the Products category.)

I bought an Arduino Star OTTO Light at Maker Faire a few days ago and have made quite a bit of progress in understanding how it works and more importantly how to manage the firmware on it.

I like this board, and am actually rather happy it's "light" - I had no use for the camera and graphics parts anyway, though I do miss the SDRAM. I don't like the setup method and am in the process of forking the firmware to address that to my satisfaction (my Github is in my profile).

For all I've learned thus far, one thing I don't know is where you can buy one... hopefully we'll be hearing more about that soon.

That said, here are my first two posts on the board, with a focus on getting the board running, avoiding pitfalls, and updating the ESP8266 firmware:

Arduino Star OTTO (Light): Unboxing and first look!

Arduino Star OTTO (Light): Updating the onboard ESP8266’s firmware

Where can we buy an Arduino Star OTTO (Light) ?

Lately the STMicrolectronics offered my company an arduino Star OTTO but it seems unless i'm wrong the IDE 1.8.3. or previous 1.8.2 does not work very well, see this other thread Can't move motors on CNC v3 shield with custom code - #2 by delinc - Motors, Mechanics, Power and CNC - Arduino Forum

If really arduino wants to progress on Star OTTO then clearly this needs to be structured on the forum as suggested on post #1 (Note to the moderators - it would be useful to have an Arduino Star OTTO section under the Products category.)

Star Otto is a product of Arduino.org. This is Arduino.cc.

dannable:
Star Otto is a product of Arduino.org. This is Arduino.cc.

It seems reconciliation took place between arduino.cc and arduino.org Two Arduinos become one | Arduino Blog

Reconciliation yes, but not merger. Their products are available from their site, and they are supported on their forums, and v.v.

dannable:
Reconciliation yes, but not merger. Their products are available from their site, and they are supported on their forums, and v.v.

Honestly I'm lost here because I've installed the IDE 1.8.3 from arduino.cc on my Macintosh. The installation of specific Star OTTO worked fine, I can choose the OTTO from the boards list and I was able to run the example (LED blinking). However I notice some bugs (UPLOAD process) and slow operation (COMPILER process).

I recommend that both arduino's management team clarify public and recommend what forum, what IDE it is best for those of us willing to use Star OTTO.

You can recommend what you like but given past performance I strongly suspect that you'll be ignored. The only reason I know about this product is I was curious following these posts.

arduino.org star forum

dannable:

Well, It depends. The Online Buy link on http://www.arduino.org/ website points to the https://store.arduino.cc/ buy page.

Some more news showing the merging or something else A new era for Arduino begins today | Arduino Blog