No 220 Ohm resistor in kit

So I can't seem to find my 220 Ohm resistor in my starter kit at all. I've turned the box inside out, but so far nothing. I do, however, seem to have 2 more of every resistor than what is mentioned on the box interestingly enough.

So, here's what I have:
22 x 10k
22 x 12k <- seems to be the culprit
7 x 1M
7 x 1K
7 x 560
7 x 10M
7 x 4.7K

Now... HOW do I do anything with LED's when I'm missing the 220 resistor? I was hoping to get started tonight but now I can't which sadens me tremendous.

I'm assuming this is a mistake, or is the book outdated? I've searched but can't find the answer.

1 Like

You can use the 560 Ohm or 1K resistors with your LED. It will be slightly less bright than with the 220 Ohm resistor but still plenty bright enough.

If it's an official Arduino Starter Kit that you bought from the Arduino Store then you can contact Arduino Store support via this form:

pert:
You can use the 560 Ohm or 1K resistors with your LED. It will be slightly less bright than with the 220 Ohm resistor but still plenty bright enough.

If it's an official Arduino Starter Kit that you bought from the Arduino Store then you can contact Arduino Store support via this form:
Arduino Official Store | Boards Shields Kits Accessories

Thank you, haven't tinkered with electronics since I was in high school over a decade ago. I didn't buy it through the official store, but I'll go by the store I bought it through tomorrow, I'm sure they'll throw a handfull of 220 resistors and see which ones lands in my pocket to make me happy.

I'll power through with the 560 resistors for this evening then I guess. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Welcome back to the world of electronics and to Arduino. I'm glad if I was able to be helpful. Enjoy!

Thank you, and it works! YAY! Couldn't be happier.
It started with me having an idea for a neat arcade style game that's 5 years in the future and now I'm picking up the Arduino. Will be back if I bump into more issues along the road

1 Like

So, I just turned to page 41 in the projects book and what do I see? "How to read resistor color codes". I was forced to google the color codes to see where my 220 resistor might be but couldn't find it. And the page I used told me that the one resistor that's odd in this kit is 12k, not 220. Well, turns out that on page 41 there's a handy little cheat sheet at the bottom that gives me 2 options of resistors, 4 band and 5 band. My 12k resistors are 5 band and according to the book they're 220 Ohm, not 12k.

So, for anyone who's having trouble because Arduino sent you blue resistors (5 band) instead of beige ones (4 band), look at page 41.

7 Likes

I got my Arduino Uno starter kit a few days ago and I was, too, puzzled by not finding the expected 220 Ohm resistors. But then I figured it out, they are the bluish-colored 5-band ones.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

I have exactly the same issue. No 220 and 10k resistances. I must say I’m quite disappointed and I think this is not professional for a product for which I paid 100CHF

how do I get them?

1 Like

Just got a starter kit for Fathers day 2020. They still have packaging issues with not including the 220 ohm resistor. Thinking about returning it I'm so aggravated !!!

1 Like

I've just got a set as well. There aren't any 220 ohm resistors like the 4-band one shown on page 25, but the second large batch of resistors on my strip were 220 ohm resistors with 5-band markings: i.e. a light blue background with two red stripes, two black stripes and a brown tolerance stripe. They were oriented the other way to the adjacent 10000 ohm batch - i.e. you needed to start reading at the other end of the resistor.

1 Like