ROM-Reader for Super Nintendo / Super Famicom Game Cartridges

Okay guys, I managed to find a guy in my home province who I am confident will be able to make me an Arduino cart reader if he purchases the required parts for the cart reader to have just SNES and Nintendo 64 support (this guy is Chinese; he runs this small store which specializes in products involving the use of the Raspberry Pi, and he has expertise in electrical engineering so I'm sure he can help me).

Now, I better ask a few questions so I can get back to this guy with the information he'll want to know.

First of all, what parts will he need to order to make the cart reader (including the clock generator for giving it compatibility with SA-1 SNES games)?

Second, can I have a guide to give him for this specific setup, please?

And third, if he is successful in building one of these cart readers someday, should I let him borrow my Super Mario RPG cartridge and one of my Nintendo 64 cartridges so that he can test it?

Thanks in advance.

Go here for the parts list:

And here on how to build it:

Is there any reason to use the micro SD slot in the part list over the regular one? I saw an issue in the GitHub about it, but don't really understand it. Something about the logic level? I'm using the parts from the old version linked a few pages back. That issue appears to be closed now, so I'm quite confused as to which SD slot to use, and I'm almost ready to start building.

I think for the MicroSD you had to remove the 3.3v voltage regulator(and bridge some of the pins) since it will already be receiving 3.3v. If I recall that was the issue.

The best sd module is the custom design uploaded here, which uses the same schematics as the microSD module but offers a full-size sd slot.

It uses the parts of the microSD module and this sd slot (MMC/SD long variant).

The old sd module works too but there were concerns about the missing voltage level converter chip, so I designed the custom pcb.
You can also use the microSD module, however on almost all cart reader pcb revisions but the currently unreleased design you need to desolder the AMS1117 and bridge its input/output pads on the module's pcb.

I'm still waiting for some Arduinos I initially ordered in February and reordered in April, so that's why the project is a little bit behind schedule right now.

Alright, thanks theodor613.

Now, I have a couple more questions, one, under "Electronic components" the downloadable excel file appears to be broken (I recall seeing something about this), what do I do here, presuming that a working version of that file can be uploaded to lcsc.com via the given URL?

Second, what's the difference between the various PCBs? Seeing that the Cart Reader PCB is the only one that isn't optional, I'm basically curious to ask what the Flashadapter PCB and PSOP44 to DIP44 adapter each do?

Third, what's the difference between the N64 slot and N64 plug?

Finally, if the guy I mentioned purchases only the SNES slot and N64 slot in addition to the other important parts, would steps 3, 4, and 7 in the build guide change accordingly (so that step 3 would not mention the GBA slot, step 4 would not mention the Genesis/Mega Drive slot, and step 7 would be basically omitted)?

The excel file for the parts should download just fine. After you download it you can upload it to lcsc and order the parts, currently two parts are out of stock but they're pretty common parts so I guess if you order them anyway they'll just send it once they get them back in stock.

The flash adapter pcb let's you program 29F032 and similar flashroms. The PSOP44 to DIP44 adapter is needed for 29L3211 flash roms. If you don't know what those are then you don't need it. It has nothing to do with backing up games.

The N64 slot is where you put the N64 cartridge in. The N64 controller plug is where you put the N64 controller in so you can read Controller Paks or test the controllers analog stick and buttons.

Yes you can just leave out whatever slot you don't need. You can even leave out the buttons and the oled screen if you're okay with using your PC for input/output over the Arduino serial monitor.

sanni:
You can even leave out the buttons and the oled screen if you're okay with using your PC for input/output over the Arduino serial monitor.

Uh, would leaving out the buttons and the led screen (presuming that's what you meant) not be optional (or for that matter, a good idea) if the clock generator is included as part of the cart reader setup?

Sanni, thanks a lot for Your perfect job. I already ordered the parts for CartReader and waiting impatiently. I know that I'm not the first one who's asking this question: "When PCB will be available for order as a PCB or layout?" Could You estimate or give us a hope:))) I know that You are testing it now...but any promise would be great.

Thanks again.

I wish I was already in the final testing phase but I am still waiting on the Arduinos to arrive. :frowning:
They should come any day now.

I wish to send You my Mega Arduino but it will take more time:( So will be waiting on Your updates.
Also the question is - will it be possible to order PCB from You because that will support You also, I guess.

I ordered more than one. :smiley:
Basically I know that the design works since I already build one reader but now I need to test if it works every time so I'm gonna build four more readers and test them over a longer period.
So the release is still longer than days away, hopefully just weeks, worst case scenario months but not years. :slightly_smiling_face:
After four years in development it is time for a V1.0 release and all that is missing for that right now is a video about the build/soldering process and the finished and tested pcb. 8)

This is huge amount of work and You gathering all the little masterpieces in one now. For sure we will be waiting until You do all the final machining and polishing before the final release.

Months it's OK. I recently left emulator way of life and went to white side of force:) - real hardware. Ordered NESRGB, OSSC, RGB cables and SF RAM cart and GB cart, so that's why I need Your masterpiece.

So if You need any help from my side just let me know.

Sanni, how goes it with the 27c322?

I can write them just fine but there is one setting called "margin mode" that ensures that they are written properly for like long term and I haven't integrated that yet since it needs 12V on pin 9. I have however designed a new flash adapter pcb with that in mind but I have not ordered it. It's on low priority right now.

The Arduino Megas I ordered came yesterday too, so as soon as I have the time I'll build some cart readers and test for reliability, hopefully I can also make a video about the build process and upload it to youtube.

Sounds great so far. Thanks for the update.

One more thing, For some MX29L3211, I have to read, erase then blank check before I can actually write. I got 10pcs here and only 1 would erase, blank check and be empty before I can write. The other 9, I have to read them first. Otherwise, they would fail the blank check.

Edit: Added the 47uf capacitor and the issue is now fixed! I have now added 47uf capacitors on all my boards.

Just finished testing, both hardware and software worked as expected. :slight_smile:

Now I only need to make a short video about the soldering process, maybe some videos about the Cart Reader in action, make a digikey shopping cart for the parts as an alternative to the Chinese parts vendor.

Should only be a few days/weeks until this is done now.

That's awesome!

And here is the video for the pcb build guide. :art:

Would it be possible to get these as a kit? I can source most of the parts myself, but that PCB is relatively large, I'm going to have to pay, like, $30 for a set of boards (since I can't just buy one).