how to reduce the electrical noise

paimpozhil:
Hi All

My arduino standalone board that i soldered with voltage regulator for staircase lights automation seems to be restarting/flickering whenever i switch on my tubelight which flickers almost every time due to start issue or whatever.

Is there anyway to immunize the arduino from power glitches like this? like bigger caps for voltage regulation,etc?

Someone suggested keeping a lower value resistor for reset instead of 10k, how lower that should go?

Running the arduino from the batteries will fix? or may introduce more problems than the fix?

I think this thread has drifted off track rather - as I understand this there is a fluorescent light fitting that's creating
mains transients that are reseting the Arduino by some mechanism.

Likely things are:

1. inadequately protected power supply passing on the transient to the 5V rail
  2. interference being picked up by cables between the Arduino and the staircase lights.

But I've a few questions: What are these staircase lights? Are they distinct from the fluorescent light
that is causing the problems? How are the staircase lights controlled by the Arduino? Are relevant
logic-level signal cables shielded and routed away from mains wiring?