Get RSSI rf arduino 434 MHz

Hi to every one.
I am trying to build an application in order not to forget my keys or my wallet when I enter my car. something like the tile application http://www.thetileapp.com/. The idea for start is to build a small rf beacon and install an arduino rf receiver in my car. When I enter the car the receiver will measure the signals strength RSSI and through the voce library it will inform me with voice commands if the object which has the rf beacon is in the car. I was trying to build this project with RFID tags but after a long time of searching the web I couldn't find something, mainly because passive RFID tags have got short range lower than some cm. That's why I decided to use arduino and an rf receiver transmitter system using the virtualwire library but i dont know how to measure the signal strength. Does anyone if this project is feasible or am I dreaming in vain? Also if anyone has any idea how I can build this using RFID tags will be welcome. Thanks in advance and sorry for my ignorance in electronics

The idea for start is to build a small rf beacon and install an arduino rf receiver in my car. When I enter the car the receiver will measure the signals strength RSSI and through the voce library it will inform me with voice commands if the object which has the rf beacon is in the car.

More expensive radios, like XBees, can measure signal strength. That signal strength RARELY maps linearly to distance. Cheap radios do not have this capability.

Thank PaulS for you reply

@Romanos, please do not cross-post.