Intererest in tacoma area arduino club

I am wondering is there are any Arduino users in the Tacoma Washington area who would be interested in starting a Arduino/robotics club. I am just trying to feel out the interest in this type of stuff in Tacoma.

-Peter Davenport
P.S. hope that this is the correct area to post this.

I live in Seattle and would be very interested.
There is already a "Seattle robotics society" or something but their website doesn't look very attractive. I don't know anything about the program itself.

I'm in the area, too. I'd be interested.

I live in arlington and I would be interested also. I think the Seattle robotics society (the people who made robothon i think) deals with robotics but not directly with arduino. an arduino group in washington would be cool.

Yes, the Seattle robotics society put together Robothon. I attended one of their meetings and wasn't impressed, they dragged on for a hour before the actual presentation which was about reprap discussing their policies!

I think arduino club like this should just be a small thing where a few people get together at a coffee shop in each city and discuss their projects. We could also host workshops and other special events.

Our only problem is that so far we have people in Seattle, Arlington, and Tacoma, that is an hour to three hour drive apart. A long drive was one of the reasons I didn't just attend the Seattle Robotics Society.

I'm not sure if you guys made this happen yet or not. I'm in NE Tacoma and interested.

I started a blog to list Seattle Tacoma area workshops and projects the other day.
It' s www.boredhacker.blogspot.com

Cool, We have not had any sort of meeting. When we get a few more people closer to the Tacoma area (Like aroma and me) we could have a meeting.

I live in Tacoma, WA area, I want to join this Arduino Tacoma club. Leo

Hi, Jeff and Aroma, this is Leo in Tacoma area, zip code 98467.
Let us start to meet? How about this coming Saturday, 04/08/2010?

How about this coming Saturday, 04/08/2010?

This coming Saturday is 05/08/2010.

I'm in 98422. Are we going to negotiate a time/place or do you have something in mind? Thanks, Rob

Now, we have Rob, Paul, Jeff and myself. Let us start talking about where and when to meet. Or even what we expect from the meetings.

Myself is a Sr. Software Developer, with a couple of years experience in embedded programming back many years ago. I recently became interested in Arduino/Robot stuff.

I was thinking that the basic idea would be to meet a coffeehouse or something and show off what we have been working on, once in a while we could have a guest speaker talking about something cool (Reprap for example).
Anyway I am in 98418, and am a student/freelance PCB designer/Client side web developer/sound tech.

I am planning to build an Arduino helicopter following http://hacknmod.com/hack/arduino-powered-helicopter-with-four-rotors/

However, I wish to use more integrated electronic components given at http://hacknmod.com/hack/make-a-uav-spyplane-using-the-arduino/

but i am unsure if the substitutes will work. I will appreciate it for your suggestions and comments.

What parts are you looking for specifically? Sparkfun sells a UAV autopilot board for $25. I have a few Dorkboards around if you want the keep the Arduino small/light. What type of motors are you going to run? Saving weight/cost/complexity on the motors and their control would be a cool place to start.

O Yea, You can easily mix and match components.

Really we should get together to figure out what we want from the meetings, I think that Saturday works for me(As long as it is before 4:00 PM). I would love to see what you have in regards to the copter!

That Cutters Point by the waterfront is pretty empty late mornings on the weekends.

The shop on Pacific by the school of the arts?

Yep.