Connecting Processing to Arduino (Serial port)

Hello, I am beginner using arduino and I would like to know how to transfer two String arrays from Processing to Arduino or some hint to do it...

In processing, I tried:

//...
port.write(a[i]); 
//...
port.write(b[i]);

And, in Arduino, I have:

//...
void setupVariable(){

a=Serial.readString(); //concatenating arrays
  //Serial.println(a); 

}
//...

I am not familiar with Processing.

For the Arduino side have a look at the examples in Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data. There is also a parse example to illustrate how to extract numbers from the received text.

The technique in the 3rd example will be the most reliable. It is what I use for Arduino to Arduino and Arduino to PC communication.

You can send data in a compatible format with code like this (or the equivalent in any other programming language)

Serial.print('<'); // start marker
Serial.print(value1);
Serial.print(','); // comma separator
Serial.print(value2);
Serial.println('>'); // end marker

It makes debugging much easier if you send data in human readable form. I would only send binary data if it was the only way to achieve the required performance.

...R

marta99:
Hello, I am beginner using arduino and I would like to know how to transfer two String arrays from Processing to Arduino or some hint to do it...

In processing, I tried:

//...

port.write(a[i]);
//...
port.write(b[i]);

And, in Arduino, I have:

//...
void setupVariable(){

a=Serial.readString(); //concatenating arrays
  //Serial.println(a);

}
//...

If you are going to send one byte at a time in Processing, then in the Arduino sketch you need to read one byte at a time.

char aByte = Serial.Read();