Arduino as ISP

I'm trying to use the Arduino Nano as ISP to program the Attiny45 chip. I have double checked my wiring, downloaded all the correct files, and selected the correct settings (I think), but somewhere here I am going wrong. I uploaded pictures of my settings and the error. I think my error is that I need to add a 10uF cap on the arduino, but I'm not convinced that will make the difference but I will try that when I get a cap but open to other advice as well.

The error that says "the selected serial port avrdude: stk500_disable(): unknown response = 0x12 does not exist or your board is not connected."

Arduino_as_isp_1.png

it is sure that "stk500_disable(): unknown response = 0x12" is not a serial port.

Which version of the Arduino IDE are you using?

Looks like Arduino 1.8.1

It's possible that it's a serial port error but I can talk to the Nano that is the ISP just fine.

The nano probably has an old bootloader, so the ISP sketch has probably not run when avrdude tries to talk to it. I would say update the bootloader, but then you would need an ISP tool... chickens and eggs then turtles all the way down.

ron_sutherland:
The nano probably has an old bootloader, so the ISP sketch has probably not run when avrdude tries to talk to it. I would say update the bootloader, but then you would need an ISP tool... chickens and eggs then turtles all the way down.

with this a capacitor on reset pin should help

I'll give it a try tonight with the cap and see what happens. Had to grab one from work :slight_smile:

Remember when choosing your programmer in tools that 'ArduinoISP' != 'Arduino as ISP'.

I'm not saying that recently burned me, but yeah, it did.

It's especially confusing that the sketch you use to make an "Arduino as ISP" is named "ArduinoISP".

The cap did the trick, thanks for the help everyone!