URGENT: CONTROLLING CURRENT IN ELECTROMAGNETS AT X,Y AND Z AXIS

HELLO EVERY ONE

I have been involved in a project and i have hit a wall. time is of the essence and i am completely lost of ideas here.

So my project is controlling the current in an electromagnet in X,Y and Z axis. i am using 2 coils in each axis. And i want to accomplish this so i can move an object between the coil in a specific axis . in my head i have all these ideas but i want to practically make it now.

the coils works like this .. If i want to move any thing up or down (Y axis), to go up the current in the upper coils increases and simultaneously decreases in the bottom coil and to move down vice versa. Same principle applies to moving left and right (X axis) and front and back (Z-axis).

i have my coils they are ready. i am using an iron core that is 10 cm in length and 3.5 cm in dia,with 400 turns of 16 awg 1 mm copper wire. passing a current of 1 A min-10 A max. the values for current is a lot i know but this is because i want a desired magnetic field strength. ( 2.50 mT-60 mT ). In experimentation stage right now so i have 6 coils. ( in future i want to use more coils btw)

Like i said i have hit a wall and i have no idea how to control this principal. I know i need an embedded system and a program/code for this. that is where i am stuck. no idea and absolutely sitting ducks here.

Please help me in this, i really am stuck here and I have no idea what to do and how to do this. specifically in the region of embedded and programming field.

if it helps understand better. I plan on controlling the up ,down, front, back, left, right movement manually(like using a switch to turn on the coils in a specific axis while the others switch off and move where I choose by increasing and decreasing current in either coils). I insist please to give me some feedback .

HELLO EVERY ONE

I have been involved in a project and i have hit a wall. time is of the essence and i am completely lost of ideas here.

So my project is controlling the current in an electromagnet in X,Y and Z axis. i am using 2 coils in each axis. And i want to accomplish this so i can move an object between the coil in a specific axis . in my head i have all these ideas but i want to practically make it now.

the coils works like this .. If i want to move any thing up or down (Y axis), to go up the current in the upper coils increases and simultaneously decreases in the bottom coil and to move down vice versa. Same principle applies to moving left and right (X axis) and front and back (Z-axis).

i have my coils they are ready. i am using an iron core that is 10 cm in length and 3.5 cm in dia,with 400 turns of 16 awg 1 mm copper wire. passing a current of 1 A min-10 A max. the values for current is a lot i know but this is because i want a desired magnetic field strength. ( 2.50 mT-60 mT ). In experimentation stage right now so i have 6 coils. ( in future i want to use more coils btw)

Like i said i have hit a wall and i have no idea how to control this principal. I know i need an embedded system and a program/code for this. that is where i am stuck. no idea and absolutely sitting ducks here.

Please help me in this, i really am stuck here and I have no idea what to do and how to do this. specifically in the region of embedded and programming field.

if it helps understand better. I plan on controlling the up ,down, front, back, left, right movement manually(like using a switch to turn on the coils in a specific axis while the others switch off and move where I choose by increasing and decreasing current in either coils). I insist please to give me some feedback .

SHOUTING for attention (topic has all capitals), and cross-posting.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=543809.0

You could have asked a moderator to move your post to another section of the forum.
There is a "report to moderator" link in every post.
Leo..

HELLO EVERY ONE

Well speaking as a retired lecturer ( professor for the U.S. speakers ) I would say you can’t do this because the whole thing is inherently unstable.

Have you just tried doing it in one dimension, that is up and down first? Just doing that will be almost impossible. The big problem is that a force on an object needs to be in equilibrium for the object to be stationary. However to move that object you have to disturb that equilibrium, let the object move and then reestablish a new equilibrium for the object in a new place.

It is hard enough just establishing an equilibrium between gravity and a attractive magnet, but to move that object requires such a lot more.

If you were to do this in one dimension then you would need to track the position of the object to a very high degree of precision.

Due to the unevenness of the magnetic fields movement in one dimension will involve a lot of change in all the magnets. Couple this with the fact that the force from a magnet changes with the inverse cube of the distance then what you want to do is probably at least at a PhD level.

I insist please to give me some feedback .

You are either not a native English speaker or you are very arrogant in saying that.

HELLO EVERY ONE

It is possible to levitate a small magnetic object in space by actively and continuously controlling the strength of a single electromagnet.

In fact you can buy toys that do this. A sensor determines the height of the object and a signal amplifier adjusts the magnetic field strength.

DIY article here.

Well, you made a valiant effort at explaining your apparatus, but, it's not clear to me, what, exactly the problem is? What have you tried? Can you supply a circuit diagram and even a photo or three? Currently, I don't have enough information to assist you (assuming I can), other than to attempt to engineer the whole thing -- which would be a shot in the dim* because I'm not sure I have a clear picture of what you're trying to do. For instance, you say you want to move any thing [sic]. That could be a flea, or a hippopotamus, or a tea cozy. At least a couple of those things probably can't be moved by electromagnetics. I suppose I can assume that it's something ferromagnetic, that can be moved by a field strength of 2.50 mT-60 mT, but why do you want to move things. It would really help to know what your goal/purpose is. Apparently you have some coils. Is it that you don't know how to apply power to them, or you applied some sort of power, and they didn't move the thing you wanted it to move? Do you see my dilemma?

And, consider, that if you want rapid assistance, then you need to meet us halfway, and do your part. Like, reading and complying with the rules and suggestions presented by the first post in the forum of your choice. For instance, for this forum that would be: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=149015.0

*I.e. not quite dark ... :wink:

DON'T CROSS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=543813
I HAVE REPORTED THIS THREAD TO THE MODERATORS

grumpy mike , Have you gone through Octo -mag and the work that they have done. Well,this idea is similar to that. As a college student i am really interested to be any where remotely close to what they have achieved.

Secondly, precise movement is something i have planned for future works and obviously i realize the fact that going at such an advance level requires an advance degree.

lastly, you are right i am not a native speaker, I am Chinese. sorry if i gave a wrong impression here not being arrogant. I have a very narrow timeline.

Appreciate your input. Thanks

Poster has cross-posted this (since my warning) in four different places.
I think we should stop helping until this is solved.
Leo..

posts taken care of.

I have a very narrow timeline.

Buy the toy. You don't have time to make anything work.

Many threads merged.

Have you gone through Octo -mag and the work that they have done.

No, I have not come across them and a Google search does not come up with anything relevant. So I have no idea what you want to do.

Most of the levitating toys use diamagnetic materials, they are things that are repelled by a magnetic field. It is much easier to make those sorts of systems stable. One such material is the metal bismuth.

I insist please to give me some feedback .

Insisting on something means you are demanding something, and at the same time making a non specific threat if you do not get what you want.

The levitating Earth globe toy has one magnet pulling it up and some PID system to make it stable. It doesn't need the second magnet pulling it down, because gravity does that job. Adding two axes won't work. That's my educated guess. Well, it might work in a few millimeter range. But before I care of explaining why it won't work, you need to describe precisely the object you want to control.