CONNECTING ARDUINO TO VISA INSTRUMENTS

Hello guys,

I have been using the Arduino for some time now so not really a newbie, but I am really having a hard time figuring this out.

I want to connect my Arduino to my function generator(Tektronix AFG 1000 series) directly for them to talk. I thought since the function generator also communicates with the computer via a USB just like the Arduino does, I could hook them up via Serial Communication using RX and TX. This has however proved too hard for me and I have gone all over google but still to no avail.

What I have been able to do is to use LabVIEW as an intermediary between these two but I want to completely remove the computer and get these two talking directly with one another. please help

A quick glance at the data sheet does not show any serial communications capability. It shows using the USB to HOST connection. If you want to use that you need to make your Arduino into a USB HOST. I am not familiar with that, but I bet Mr Google is. Look for Arduino USB host.

Paul

Might be possible using python on a computer running Linux such as raspberry pi.

If you really want to use Arduino, try this

1 Like

Hi,
Is there a possibility to use an ETHERNET Shield and use the VISA Libraries (if they exist for Arduino)?
The idea of using for example Echo Dot to send the SCPI commands to the Measurement device is something that could work and is under development at the big guys (Keysight, Rohde&Schwarz, Tektronix etc)...

Would be nice to show something that actually works :wink:

1 Like