Nrf24l01 for communication

So I was going some digging and I ran across the nrf24l01. I found it really awesome, and wanted to get some opinions. Would it be possible to hook up an arduino nano, a nrf24l01, and a cell phone to create a communication line between 2 phones? 2 sets of nanos and materials, 1 for each phone, and an app to type in the message. Essentially creating a gotenna but for a much cheaper price. Anyone have any thoughts?

The NRF24L01 is one of many types of cheap radio transceivers that work with Arduino.

Most are best used for one or two way data transmission, but transmission range, and your imagination are the only major limitations on practical uses.

I don't know how you could give any less information about what you want to do. What cell phones? My cell phone does not have a serial data port. Does yours? What other connection are you considering? Perhaps a block diagram showing the connections would make this more clear to me.

Paul

The nRF24L01+ is designed to communicate with another nRF24L01+ - and it does that very well. It cannot communicate with a phone.

...R
Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial

So my phone has the micro usb port, which I would use an OTG style connector to then hook up to a usb cable for the arduino which would have the nrf24l01. Does that clear anything up any?

If you can exchange messages between the Arduino and your phone, then using the radio, you can send and receive those messages to/from another radio/Arduino combo.