Connect SSi interface to Arduino board

Hi All,

I have an absolute encoder from SICK which has SSI interface. Its features are as follows 1MHz clock frequency, grey code, multi-turn and of course SSi interface. Previously I tried to connect it to RS485 to usb converter but was not successful because the converter cant handle 1 MHz. Now, I am think of using some differential driver and receiver IC. Actually I have some preferred products like max1486 and SN75179 and theoretically they are able to interface Arduino SPI to SSI. But my concern is about whether those ICs can transmit CLK+ and CLK- signals to and receive Data+ and Data- signals from the encoder. Since SSI relies on differential signalling I need something capable of differential serial data transmission.

Can anyone would recommend me how to connect SSI absolute encoder to Arduino(preferably Mega but not strictly)?

Regards.

Gray code, not grey code! Frank Gray invented it.

Probably need a set of shift registers after the line receivers, use the incoming clock to clock the registers. If you
provided a link to a full description of the protocol it might be possible to give more help. With a Mega you
could read directly in parallel from the registers using ports.

Bit banging in directly from the receivers might be possible in assembler, with interrupts disabled, but
that's rather messy.

MarkT:
Gray code, not grey code! Frank Gray invented it.

Probably need a set of shift registers after the line receivers, use the incoming clock to clock the registers. If you
provided a link to a full description of the protocol it might be possible to give more help. With a Mega, you
could read directly in parallel from the registers using ports.

Bit banging in directly from the receivers might be possible in assembler, with interrupts disabled, but
that's rather messy.

I have Arduino mega 2560, can you guide me which pin should I connec?