Basic Ohms law problem

I'm giving serious consideration to buying the latest edition of Practical Electronics for Inventors for me and my daughter to share as we continue our electronics journey.

See this thread.

Or get a LDO regulator such as

retrolefty:
The problem with that is you seem to be (or wanting to) learning basic electronics by memorizing a series of 'rules', rather then studying basic electronics DC

Lefty

Now that's that kind of Input I am looking for. I have posted all over what would be the best way to get started in all this. I was not really getting any good input. Most would tell me to do the Arduion examples.
Even though that just shows me how to do things and not why.

I agree with you, I need to study the Basics first.

My issue is, I learn better by doing. I have found a few books on the subject but it's hard for me to retain unless I see it in action. That is way I have been doing some real odd ball projects.

If you have any recommendation on Books, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

A book to last a lifetime is this:-

Grumpy_Mike:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/dp/0521370957

Thanks

kculm:

fungus:
A diode would be better. Silicon diodes drop the voltage by about 0.7V when it passes through them. Two of them in series would drop it by 1.4V, etc.

Would I just put it inline with the Pos. side of the power?

Yep.

Witch in reality puts out 6.24vdc and makes my scanner blink crazy.

If your arduino runs off an r/c oscillator, its frequency is more dependent on the voltage, but not that dependent.

AVRs can work comfortably at 6.24v. If you are really concerned about it, you can put a diode or an led in serial + a resistor to pull down the voltage.

Moderator edit: dhenry was banned for making this post. The quoted figure of 6.24V exceeds the maximum rating of the chip. This is not the first time that dhenry has made completely false assertions. Strikeout added by me. (Nick Gammon)

AVRs can work comfortably at 6.24v.

Sure they can that is why the data sheet says

Maximum Operating Voltage ............................................ 6.0V

and then goes on to say

Stresses beyond those listed under “Absolute Maximum Ratings” may cause permanent dam- age to the device. This is a stress rating only and functional operation of the device at these or other conditions beyond those indicated in the operational sections of this specification is not implied. Exposure to absolute maximum rating conditions for extended periods may affect device reliability.

Oh but I forgot according to you data sheets are a conspiracy and only to be used if you are designing equipment for NASA

dhenry,
Stop posting arrant nonsense, or be banned.

Is that clear enough for you?

dhenry:
AVRs can work comfortably at 6.24v. If you are really concerned about it, you can put a diode or an led in serial + a resistor to pull down the voltage.

dhenry, you keep telling people to read the datasheet, then just make stuff like this up.

I'm counting at least 4 moderators now that think dhenry be banned for this crap.

CrossRoads:
I'm counting at least 4 moderators now that think dhenry be banned for this crap.

I'm actually kind of surprised that because of how big this forum has become that there isn't a army of dhenry types, but he seems to be pretty unique among the membership around here.

But I will give dhenry this, he is like the relative that came to dinner but won't leave. I wonder what he gets out of posting here. Understanding his motivation might be a key to the puzzle that is dhenry. Or is that too flattering on him?

Just rambling I guess, go 49ers.

Lefty

Just in case anyone is any doubt, dhenry is banned.

To be honest. I do not think that banning a member for making a false remark is really correct.
Afterall, mistakes do happen.

Of course it is up to the moderators in the end.

That said, microcontrollers generally will not work properly at 6.24v and can even be damaged in some cases. IIRC the absolute maximum rating for Atmel chips is 6.0v but don't quote me on it.

To be honest. I do not think that banning a member for making a false remark is really correct.

It is the latest in a very long line of false remarks, and generally unhelpful posts.

AWOL:
Just in case anyone is any doubt, dhenry is banned.

Hey guys, I did not mean for my question to get anyone banned .

@kculm,
It had nothing to do with you.
Go into Members and view dhenry's posts, you'll see what brought it on.

Grumpy_Mike:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/dp/0521370957

A third edition is anticipated late this year, according to this article in Wikipedia. Must be true if it's in Wikipedia 8). Current, second edition is dated 1989.....

I really like the look of Practical Electronics for Inventors, up-to-date 3rd edition (2013) already in the shops.

Hey guys, I did not mean for my question to get anyone banned .

It's not the question, it's the answer that did that... and seemingly a long line of answers, at that.