Servo (Futaba s3003) not working

Hi everyone!

I'm a beginner at Arduino and was trying to make a servo motor(Futaba s3003) work. I'd attached the signal pin to PWM pin 9 and provided the voltage and ground through an external battery of 9V. Instead of spinning, it just twiched as soon as the circuit was complete and then stopped. Whenever I disconnected and reconnected the circuit, it twiched again and then did nothing. Any leads would help me alot. Thank you!

The code I used was as follows

#include <Servo.h> 

Servo servo1;
 // create servo object to control a servo 
                // twelve servo objects can be created on most boards

int pos = 0;    // variable to store the servo position 

void setup() 
{ 
  servo1.attach(9); // attaches the servo on pin 9 to the servo object 
} 

void loop() 
{ 
  for(pos = 0; pos <= 180; pos += 1) // goes from 0 degrees to 180 degrees 
  {                                  // in steps of 1 degree 
    servo1.write(pos);              // tell servo to go to position in variable 'pos' 
    delay(15);      

// waits 15ms for the servo to reach the position 
  } 

delay(2000);

for(pos = 0; pos>=-180; pos-=1)     // goes from 180 degrees to 0 degrees 
  {                                
    servo1.write(pos);              // tell servo to go to position in variable 'pos' 
    delay(15);

// waits 15ms for the servo to reach the position 
  } 
  delay(2000);
}

and provided the voltage and ground through an external battery of 9V.

You may have damaged your servo as it is rated for 4.8v-6v. Note that the arduino ground and servo ground need to be connected together like below.

servo-wire.jpg

Apologies, I forgot to mention earlier, I did create a voltage divider and provided only 6V to the motor.
Probably I forgot to give arduino and the servo a common ground. Thanks for your help!

A voltage divider is not going to power a servo, you need a voltage regulator chip and capacitors to provide the power. Also make that 15mS delay more like half a second.

The servo power supply should be able to supply 5-6 volts at 1 ampere. A 9V PP3 battery cannot do that.