Trying to get a USB scanner to work. Need advice.

Hello all.

I have a UNO with a USB shield (using v2.0 of the library from circuits@home). I bought a fairly cheap scanner from Amazon. It's the Newland NLS-OY20. I have not been able to find a whole lot of documentation in English, but I've been doing some experimentation.

I tried using the HIDBootKbd example and no matter how much I modify it, it still doesn't work with the scanner. I plugged an old USB keyboard up, and it responded just fine. I received the keystrokes on the serial monitor just fine.

The scanner works great when I have notepad open and I scan a barcode.

What I know is that my PC (Win10) detects the keyboard as "USB Keyboard" and detects my scanner as "HidKeyBoard".

Are there any obvious things that are going over my head when comparing USB and HID, and getting this thing working?

Power the Uno via its barrel connector. Some barcode scanners require more current than others.

Apologies, I should have been a little clearer. I get power, but I don't receive any data out. The barcode does take the scan, but I receive no data on the serial monitor like when I use the keyboard.