NewPing Library: HC-SR04, SRF05, SRF06, DYP-ME007, Parallax PING))) - v1.7

teckel:
How many pins are you using? 4? One pin for triggers on all sensors and 3 pins to get the results from each sensor? If so, you could just use 3 pins by using the method I describe.

Tim

Please forgive me Tim, I am not understanding, I am using four pins as you have stated but I don't understand how to wire the sensor to only use three pins. This surely would be better because I can add a forth sensor pointing to the rear.

Here is the setup code I am presently using.

#define LED_STATUS_PIN 13
#define SONAR_NUM     3 // Number or sensors.
#define MAX_DISTANCE 300 // Maximum distance (in cm) to ping.
#define PING_INTERVAL 66 // Milliseconds between sensor pings (29ms is about the min to avoid cross-sensor echo).
unsigned long pingTimer[SONAR_NUM]; // Holds the times when the next ping should happen for each sensor.
unsigned int cm[SONAR_NUM];         // Where the ping distances are stored.
byte currentSensor = 0;          // Keeps track of which sensor is active.

NewPing sonar[SONAR_NUM] = {     // Sensor object array.
NewPing(7, 10, MAX_DISTANCE), // Each sensor's trigger pin, echo pin, and max distance to ping.
NewPing(7, 11, MAX_DISTANCE),
NewPing(7,  5, MAX_DISTANCE),
for (uint8_t i = 0; i < SONAR_NUM; i++) {       // Loop through all the sensors.
    if (millis() >= pingTimer[i]) {               // Is it this sensor's time to ping?
      pingTimer[i] += PING_INTERVAL * SONAR_NUM;  // Set next time this sensor will be pinged.
      if (i == 0 && currentSensor == SONAR_NUM - 1)
      {
          oneSensorCycle();
          serialCom(); 
      }          // Sensor ping cycle complete, do something with the results.
      sonar[currentSensor].timer_stop();          // Make sure previous timer is canceled before starting a new ping (insurance).
      currentSensor = i;                          // Sensor being accessed.
      cm[currentSensor] = 999;                      // Make distance zero in case there's no ping echo for this sensor.
      sonar[currentSensor].ping_timer(echoCheck); // Do the ping (processing continues, interrupt will call echoCheck to look for echo).
    }
  }