MKR 1000 keeps getting disconnected frequently

Device: MKR 1000

Issue 1: In Device manager, the device gets recognized under "ports" only 20% of the time. Rest 80% of time, I keep connecting disconnecting the USB cable just to try my luck but it keeps on getting detected under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". On right clicking it to update the driver, it says that my device driver is already up-to-date

Issue 2: During 20% of time when the device gets recognized, I can only upload my first sketch for the first time. Second time, it ask me to reset the board. On pressing the reset button, the device detection loop by windows again starts and again I try my luck to get my device detected

• I have even tried to update the device driver but it says that my driver is already up-to date.
  • I have tried the same with two Windows (Windows 10 and Windows XP) and a Ubuntu but no luck in bringing the "Tools > Ports" enabled.

Above two issues make it completely impossible to even try my board with basic example codes. Forget about writing my own program.

Make sure you are NOT using USB 3.0 ports to be sure it is not the issue.

Also have to tried the "quickly double tap the reset button" trick on the MKR ?
This puts it in bootloader mode with a new COM port and at that point you would want to upload a simple sketch such as BLINK or BARE MINIMUM examples.

There was also a firmware update for the MKR1000 which fixed some issues so you might want to check and see if you are up to date.

New user here... Same issue.

Port dropping out. OSX. Latest IDE build. Unable to update firmware. Unable to update wifi101.

Very frustrating.

EDIT: OK Is it the black protective foam (conductive?) that is causing the problem? I STRONGLY SUGGEST that the technical documentation be updated to instruct users to remove this foam shipping part. Seriously.

EDIT2: Maybe not so much. Although I was able to update the wifi firmware, the reliability of the port is still crap. Anyone? ? ? ?

@jyaeger

Macs have thier own issues with many boards.
Sometimes it is "under-powered" USB ports.

Double check that the update went through it took me two attempts to get mine to stick.

Also avoid USB 3.0 where possible.

I thought everyone knew to remove anti-static foam from electronic devices, its electronics 101.

It worked now!!!

The issue was that I forgot to the remove anti-static foam from the board.

I am completely new to electronics so this was a pretty silly mistake from my end. :slight_smile:

1 Like