Smoked my 4th UNO.

Awwwwww shit. I pulled out the power, but it was way too late when I saw tendrils of smoke and I knew it. I used a RJ-11 pair of jack and receptacle, they cross-over. Y becomes K, K becomes Y... etc. Anyhow, I never understood crossover and hate it with intensity now.

Smoked my 4th UNO.

I hope you are not doing that in a public place where you could damage the health of others.

...R

groundFungus:
I find the Nano easier. Takes fewer papers and is easier to light.

Do you use filters? Do you solder the joint?
BEWARE! Looking at the OP, this appears to be a habit forming passtime. You could get hooked and end up on the hard stuff, mainlining megas.

Henry_Best:
BEWARE! Looking at the OP,

Now that you mention it I think he has been overdoing the neo-pixels as well.

...R

Robin2:
Now that you mention it I think he has been overdoing the neo-pixels as well.

LED poisoning?

LEDs do contain arsenic. I think I burnt my 5th one today. I don't know what I did this time, maybe something shorted but it shorts the lot out when plugged in.

Ahhhhhhhh........

Seriously Matt, learn to bootload bare 328P chips. They're down to about $2 each if you buy 10 or so. When, not if but when you burn a pin what you do is pry the burned chip of the Uno socket and replace it with one you had bootloaded earlier, after disassembling the faulty circuit of course!

It could even be the VR that smoked. It appears damaged.

mattlogue:
It could even be the VR that smoked. It appears damaged.

What are you using for a power supply?
Why an RJ11?
Is your bench top made of metal?
What are you attempting to prototype?

Can you post a picture of what you were building and how it was connected to your supply?

Reason, 1 UNO is misfortune, 2 UNO looks like repeat offender, 3 UNO or more just plain carelessness..

To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.”

Tom... :slight_smile: :o :slight_smile:

Come on, troll out the VR... slowwwwly, get another page out of the full details.

Geez.

Buy 20+ 328P-PU or the cheapest DIP (old style, pins on 2 sides) 328's at a time and you get a nice discount over 5 or less.
Get a few breadboards, jumpers and a few sets of minimal breadboard duino components and 1 or no FTDI cables and you could have a few duinos to burn up at leisure till you run out of matches.. errrr... chips, yeah that's it.

I'm so damn forgetful and clumsy what I need is a few rugeduinos. They are idiot-proof. I smoked my 5th and hopefully last when I painted header near ground red to mark it, then automatically put it in vin. VIN and ground got reverse current.

I doubt that a Ruggeduino can take grounding the power pin.

Really maybe get help in the form of a calming influence and not mess with Arduino when you're not up to it?

Hi,
Do you have a proper protoboard to lay your projects out on?
That way you can see any mistakes before you switch ON?

NEVER change connections with power turn ON.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

mattlogue:
I smoked my 5th and hopefully last when I painted header near ground red to mark it, then automatically put it in vin. VIN and ground got reverse current.

Losing 4 Arduinos is unfortunate, but losing a 5th looks like carelessness.

(Can't remember who I am misquoting).

...R

Robin2:
Losing 4 Arduinos is unfortunate, but losing a 5th looks like carelessness.

(Can't remember who I am misquoting).

...R

See Post #8... :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Stop using arduino! Go for horse ride! :smiley:

speedyant:
Stop using arduino! Go for horse ride! :smiley:

That's not fair to horses. :slight_smile:

...R

TomGeorge:
See Post #8... :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

DoH :frowning:

...R

I am careless... well, I don't try to be, but I'm mighty forgetful. Up that to no7 lost. I think my 7th Uno is bad now, didn't smoke, nor do I believe it is the VR. I just think I fried something in the 328 this time, which if I had bootloaded 328s I could just swap in and check. A large sketch is failing after 5-60 seconds and "freezing". It's had me depressed.

Try to buy the next in an airport in duty free shops, but remember that you can only take one stick per person :wink: