Constant reload of CH34xx driver

Hey all

I just cannot get any of my CH34xx Mini Pro's to program any more.
I have to basically re-run the official CH34xx driver every time for some reason. If you ask it to uninstall straight after installing it... it usually says its not there.

The progress bar in my 1.8.7 IDE always goes past its right hand limit and then just sits there... or it fails immediately.

Doing what I usually do - use an UNO to program them with. TX-TX, RX-RX, 5V to 5V and ground to ground.
Reset to reset doesn't seem to work, not does playing around with the DTR pin on the Mini pro.

Tried different Mini pros... they don't connect either.

Yet, I can appear to write the code to the UNO.

Any ideas?

OK. Bought another 3.3v 8Hmz Mini-Pro + USBasp programmer lead from Bitsbox.
Nope... still totally ignores it.

Downloaded version 1.8.8 IDE (glad to see they have not bothered to fix the uploading progress bar issue)... no different.

I am out of ideas. My usual method of programming through an UNO doesn't work, and I cannot think of anything else to try.

Time to move this project to a Raspberry Zero

What output do you get with Verbose upload enabled when trying to upload to the Pro Mini via a CH340G serial adapter? This will at least give you some idea of what's going on (whether it's a driver issue or not, for example)

An arduino pro mini does not have a CH340G on it - you connect it to an external serial adapter. Are you referring to the nano? Nano "clones" often have CH340G serial adapter - for these, you need to select tools -> processor -> 328p old bootloader option (official nanos since early 2018 have a "new" bootloader; they could have made them compatible, or made them give you 1.5k more flash, but alas they chose to do neither)

Are you using a Pro Mini, or is the 'Mini-Pro' that you're using a different thing altogether? If it is something other than a Pro Mini, can you post a link to it?

Steve-SFX:
OK. Bought another 3.3v 8Hmz Mini-Pro + USBasp programmer lead from Bitsbox.
Nope... still totally ignores it.

When you use an external programmer like a USBASP, you need to select the correct programmer via 'Tools>Programmer', and then use 'Sketch>Upload using Programmer'.

Steve-SFX:
I just cannot get any of my CH34xx Mini Pro's to program any more.
Doing what I usually do - use an UNO to program them with. TX-TX, RX-RX, 5V to 5V and ground to ground.
Reset to reset doesn't seem to work, not does playing around with the DTR pin on the Mini pro.
Yet, I can appear to write the code to the UNO.

If you can upload code to the Uno then the USB-Serial side of things is working. It is more likely there is a problem with how the Pro Mini is connected. Can you post a photo/schematic?

Hello

I am doing all of the above.

I just cannot get these things to program any more.

I got the USBasp to work on the 5v Mini-Pro's, but you can't use the serial monitor with them. Or at least, they don't work.

Not sure why my old trick of using an Uno and pressing the reset button doesn't work anymore.

REALLY frustrating.

Also... why have they not fixed the progress bar in the latest IDE... it goes off the right hand side

Steve-SFX:
Hello

I am doing all of the above.

Except posting a schematic showing how you have wired up the Pro Mini and the Uno.

Steve-SFX:
I got the USBasp to work on the 5v Mini-Pro's, but you can't use the serial monitor with them.

That's correct. The USBASP is just a programmer, it doesn't have a USB-Serial function.
On that topic, if you've used the USBADP to program the Pro Mini then it will have removed the bootloader from the Pro Mini, and so you won't be able to use Serial to upload anyway.

BJHenry:
That's correct. The USBASP is just a programmer, it doesn't have a USB-Serial function.
On that topic, if you've used the USBADP to program the Pro Mini then it will have removed the bootloader from the Pro Mini, and so you won't be able to use Serial to upload anyway.

Is a USBADP the same as a USBASP then?

Excellent... I didn't know that. Would have been nice if they had mentioned that in the user details

I guess a typo; D and S are next to each other on the (qwerty) keyboard.

When using a programmer via ICSP, first thing it basically does is wipe the flash (completely). I've noticed that nowadays the IDE generates two hex files; one with only the application and one with the bootloader. Look in the temp directory to find them.

I did put in the first post how I connect my Uno to my Mini-Pro.

You say Mini-pros (knock off ones) don't have CH340's on them? How come I have always had to use CH340 drivers to program them in the past? Hmm.

I just used my Uno to restore the bootloaders on my Pro's.

Now.. why won't they accept code when thrown through an Uno? It's how I usually do it, and I have no other way to hand.

The IDE progresses and just hangs. Never completes. No amount of reset button pressing fixes that
Then, once it finally decides its failed... it doesn't even want to retry.

Going to try USB2.0 rather than the USB3.0 ports on the tower. Don't think that is going to make mush difference however.

Please post a link to the mini-pros. There is confusing about mini-pros and pro-minis.

sterretje:
Please post a link to the mini-pros. There is confusing about mini-pros and pro-minis.

Definitely this.

Steve-SFX:
You say Mini-pros (knock off ones) don't have CH340's on them? How come I have always had to use CH340 drivers to program them in the past? Hmm.

If they have a CH340 on them then you'd be able to plug a USB cable straight into them. That's what the CH340 does, it provides a bridge between a USB device (your computer) and a Serial device (the Arduino microcontroller itself).

Steve-SFX:
I just used my Uno to restore the bootloaders on my Pro's.

Just so that we are all on the same page, how did you do this? Did you use the Uno as an 'Arduino as ISP'?

1 Like