Scanse sweep - Low-cost Scanning LIDAR For Everyone

Full disclosure: I'm a backer.

Just wanted to let everyone know about this interesting Kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scanse/sweep-scanning-lidar

According to the campaign:

Sweep is a scanning LiDAR sensor designed to bring powerful 360 degree sensing capabilities to everyone for an affordable price.

Check it out - and consider supporting them!

Interesting piece of hardware, a few years ago I developed an algorithm called RnSA+, it's a Rn-fourier-based robust method for model estimation, widely used in the extraction of geometry primitives and 3D model reconstruction. It was a job task, unfortunately my source is under Copyright, due to customer wishes.

Liked the concept.

As it might be usefull for my Quadcopter I have backed them as well.

Hopefully the campaign is succesfull and we have got some nice new hobby stuff!

BrandDebiel:
As it might be usefull for my Quadcopter

it might be useful indoor, while outdoor … well, if it's not blind due to the infrared components of the sunlight

dally:
it might be useful indoor, while outdoor … well, if it's not blind due to the infrared components of the sunlight

Did you take a look at the KS page? Or the site? Its been designed to allow usage in outdoor environments. In other words, it is closer in spec to more expensive LIDAR offerings of the past (though probably no-where near as environmentally robust - ie, don't stick one of these Sweep units on the front of some construction equipment or in some kind of industrial environment).

cr0sh:
Did you take a look at the KS page? Or the site? Its been designed to

in my opinion it's blablabla-vaporware, probably due to my professional deformation (meaning a tendency to look at things from the point of view of one's own profession rather than from a broader perspective), since I have a lot of collaborations with Sick, in order to support their products (I have written a few algorithms for them), whose costs (especially for outdoor usage) are different by order of magnitude.

Kent from Scanse here:

@dally - I'm happy to answer any questions to help you realize our scanner's legitimacy. Our scanner differs from most LiDAR on the market in one important way, our ranging is done with a multi-sample approach versus a single more powerful pulse. The lower power components reduce the cost significantly. With each set of pulses for a single ranging having a unique signature, it allows you to filter noise out really well, hence its outdoor capability.

to talk is completely pointless, thus, send me one your your Lidar and I will test by my hands
sorry, I do not trust the market place, especially on "arduino forum"

I have Been Followed them Since Their Kickstarter Campaign it was an Interesting Project that Everyone could buy Low-Cost 3D Scanner Lidar Sensor but it is very sad that they closed Production