SMPTE timecode user bits written and read for tally

Firstly, I'm not sure if this if the proper category for this topic.

Ultimately I'm trying to control camera tallies via some sort of analog signal as the security of the IP environment I'm working in is far too strict to allow me to just network whatever I want and when I want it.

I can send encoded (and obviously embedded audio) HS-SDI over the intranet along with RTS RVoN audio.

So with out redesigning some new analog coding for myself I figure I'll just try to use the user bits that come along with SMPTE LTC.

I would need to read it, add my user bits, output it for downstream embedding, etc., then on the other end another city) after de-embedding the audio, read the LTC user bits and pull my tally data off of it and translate to cam#1=LOW, cam2=HIGH, etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

I recognize I may be pretty far down the rabbit hole and there may very well be a simpler more elegant solution. So please tell me if this is the case but it still sounds pretty cool to me.

Thanks folks!

I wrote an SMPTE timecode reader here that you may be able to adapt to your needs. Sorry, I did not write a SMPTE timecode writer as I had no need of one.

nice... we have a Sony switcher so... thanks!

This of course is about a tenth of my battle...
anyone else have ideas?