Putting my photo on my profile permanently [RESOLVED]

Thank you Sterretje, Pert and AWOL for your help.

Yes, I have ad blocking running. I don't claim to understand web and related stuff, I leave all that to a friend. The blockers and the like on my computer were installed by him. I have a great deal of respect for his ability. He told me the problem was GitHub and I believe him. He tried to solve it but couldn't. I think given more time he will sort it for me. I suspect the real problem is the blocking, but that's a feeling, I am not qualified to know.

Having my photo on here isn't all that important to me, but it is nice for people to know the person they are chatting to looks like.

I doubt the length of my personal text is the problem, if you think it's too long don't read it to the end, I won't mind.

Thank you again, much appreciated,
Perry

PerryBebbington:
I doubt the length of my personal text is the problem, if you think it's too long don't read it to the end, I won't mind.

I have no interest whatsoever in your personal text, but its length probably is preventing you modifying your profile.

It's an easy experiment to see if shorter text will make the picture stay. Might as well give it a try while you're waiting for your computer guru to get you on GitHub.

I have no interest whatsoever in your personal text, but its length probably is preventing you modifying your profile.

Sorry, I really didn't think that's what you meant!

It's an easy experiment to see if shorter text will make the picture stay.

It is. Done.

EDIT
Honest, I have done it, it's not updated (yet).

@PerryBebbington

Didnt jump in as you got the attention of some of the best people.
But I do suggest you learn a little about your browser and how to control it.

First off which browser are you using
CHROME
INTERNET EXPLORER
FIREFOX
EDGE
OTHER (please give a name)

We can probably guide you a little without having to wait for your friend.
If he is good he would have also told you to run certain programs/utilities on a periodic basis.
If he did the names of those programs may also be of use.

The changes to a profile are normally pretty quick to propagate through the servers and I wonder if you need to clear your cache to see them properly.

PerryBebbington:
It is. Done.

Oh dear ... it seems to be working ---- but is it an improvement :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

...R

Didn't jump in as you got the attention of some of the best people.
But I do suggest you learn a little about your browser and how to control it.

First off which browser are you using
CHROME
INTERNET EXPLORER
FIREFOX
EDGE
OTHER (please give a name)

We can probably guide you a little without having to wait for your friend.
If he is good he would have also told you to run certain programs/utilities on a periodic basis.
If he did the names of those programs may also be of use.

The changes to a profile are normally pretty quick to propagate through the servers and I wonder if you need to clear your cache to see them properly.

It's Firefox, not the current version as, I am told, the current version does not allow various things that the old one did. I am happy to leave it to him to sort out, he is my unofficial IT person and I confident in his abilities, even if this time he's not managed to help.

Oh dear ... it seems to be working

Too soon to say, I've put it on several times already and on each occasion it has stayed there for 3 or 4 days then disappeared.

But is it an improvement

I thank you :slight_smile:

I see the pic.
Lets hope it stays.

I have two utils i swear by for helping me test for Arduino.
CCLEANER and WISE REGISTRY cleaner both the free versions

Ask your friend about them as I use them all the time as a qualified IT tech.
The first will clear crud in moments from browsers and the OS.
The other strictly windows but again exceptionally useful.

You will see that my photo is missing from my profile. I note that it disappeared after I had to log back in.

That's a shame. I was starting to think the shorter bio text had solved it.

Does the picture also disappear from the circle at the top right corner of the website that opens up the profile page?

If you open the profile page, is your picture also missing there?

Does the picture also disappear from the circle at the top right corner of the website that opens up the profile page?

If you open the profile page, is your picture also missing there?

Yes, it's missing everywhere.

I can't help wondering if this has something to do with Google, I log in using my Google account.

This isn't a big deal, if it can be fixed then I'll add a photo, if not then I shall forever be just P. It's not a dating site after all :o

Did you ever manage to get signed up for a GitHub account?

PerryBebbington:
You will see that my photo is missing from my profile. I note that it disappeared after I had to log back in.

Where is the image hosted?

...R

Did you ever manage to get signed up for a GitHub account?

No, I didn't try again, last time we discussed this I had uploaded my photo and was waiting to see if it persisted.

Where is the image hosted?

I'm not sure I understand what you want to know. The original is on my PC, I uploaded it from there to this web site as per the instructions on my profile. I even made sure it was 300 x 300 pixels as that is the limit. My first attempt was with a slightly bigger version, I wondered if this web site reducing it to 300 x 300 had something to do with the problem, so I made sure it was exactly that size.

PerryBebbington:
I'm not sure I understand what you want to know.

I was just wondering if it might be on another website that was applying some restrictions.

If I was in your situation I would try attaching the image to your next Reply here and then trying to link to that copy.

...R

PerryBebbington:
You will see that my photo is missing from my profile.

Attach it to a post.

(deleted)

I can confirm the current behaviour is to fetch the Google avatar whenever you log-in via Google, so you should change it there.

Thank you.

I see that could be a bit annoying, maybe we should change it so that it only happens for users who registered via Google in the first place?

At least make the behaviour clear. At the moment the profile makes no mention of the behaviour, it just says that I can upload a photo, there is no mention of it being overridden by anything from Google.

Thank you to everyone who has tried to help.

I have added a password so I can log in without using my Google profile. I have re-added my photo. Let's see what happens.