Why are so many people here so grumpy?

Don't get me wrong, countless people have helped me here but the attitude of so many posters really stinks.

That’s quite a generalization.

If you don’t like the way things are or the way you are treated, make things better by helping out.

If you still don’t like the way things are, there’s one obvious thing you can do.

Often the grumpy people are the forum regulars. To understand their attitude you need to read every post made to the forum every day for years with the intention of answering the questions.

The majority of these posts don't even make an attempt to provide the necessary information. It can take days of trying to get the poster to provide this information just so we can provide an answer. Once we have that information the answer will come in a matter of minutes but dragging information out of people can be a huge task. Quite often we will make the effort to ask for information and then never even hear back so it's just a big waste of time. Likely the person posted here, then went and Googled their problem (as they should have done first), found the solution, then never bothered to comment on their post to say the problem was solved.

It is very common for people posting here to not bother to read the "how to use this forum" post and so over and over we have to tell people to not cross post, to use the correct forum section, to use code tags.

We regularly get people who come here with a super demanding entitled attitude. We're all volunteers doing this as a hobby for fun so that doesn't fly. It would be a different story if we were paid Arduino support staff.

To the regulars, this forum is a community. It's about furthering the Arduino project by contributing knowledge and support. But to most of the newcomers it's just a source of free help that they may only visit once.

After dealing with these things on a daily basis for years it's very easy to get a grumpy attitude that can spill over on posters who don't at all deserve it. They're feeling the repercussions of the thousands of disrespectful people who have come through this forum before them.

sbaratheon:
but the attitude of so many posters really stinks.

Don't generalize.

Post links to the examples that illustrate the attitudes you don't like.

Even better, if you think someone has been grumpy point it out there and then - don't let the wound fester.

...R

I think many of yout impessions are quite good explained at this page:
>click<
Greetings
DerDani

volvodani01:
I think many of yout impessions are quite good explained at this page:
>click<
Greetings
DerDani

What is that link?

I get the message that it is blocked because it is an adult site?

...R

Nada this is not an "adult site" this is a good description and "how to" for newbees with many topics we discuss in our forum "about" grumpy attitude.

Greetings
Daniel

Screenshot below:

Looks good. Do you have any other link to it?

...R

Robin2:
What is that link?

...R

Well, wouldn't that answer all of your questions?

Robin2:

Wow. That is some seriously aggressive anti-malware.

There are even two Wikipedia articles that go with that site...

The Cathedral and the Bazaar - Wikipedia (hence the domain name "CatB")

UK Three's mobile broadband :slight_smile:

...R

Robin2:
UK Three's mobile broadband :slight_smile:

...R

Ditto BT Mobile (aka EE)

A possible explanation (a single page on CatB)...