Best soldering tip FYI

I have been using this tip shape for the last 10 months.
It is great for getting around and under things you are soldering.
As the tip is bent, you can easily move the contact point on the target to achieve more/less heat transfer.
The version I have is series 936 but it works well on my Hakko F888D iron.
I Run the tip at ~410C.
Highly recommend using this.
(probably invented by someone who dropped the iron on the floor.)

How to use:
https://www.hakko.com/english/tip_selection/type_j.html

2016-10-23_13-09-39.png

HAKKO FX888D-29BY/P ESD-Safe Digital Soldering Station (Gold)
There's a Fry's near my house too...I'll just put it on my Fry's card..

SERIES 926

Thanks for the share..

I'm always looking for finer/better tips!

Strangely enough, I bent the end on my fine Weller tip accidentally, and found it is far easier to use. It's a little off-topic, but do you guys find Hakko to be a good brand for general use? I'm just a hobbyist, all through-hole, but do a fair bit of soldering when I do runs of kits we make. I'm tired of how quickly my Weller 40W plug-in eats tips, and want something I can temperature control and not have to scour the Earth to find tips for.

I use Hakko and am very happy with them.

Yes, the bent tip works much better. Any tip can be bent after it is hot. Put tip in a steel vise, hit it with propane torch and use pair of needle nose to shape it. File down the sides, shape it whatever way.

Most of the time, my tips seem to break into their own shape that I get used to using.

BTW
Using distilled water on the solder iron sponge keeps the salts in the water from building up on/in the soldering iron stand.
Keep a wash bottle handy on your work desk:

Giving the end of the tip a bit more of a bend makes the tip shown in first post perfect.
Too much bending will break the end off.

Using a nozzle that is installed on an angle saves your wrist while using the hot air wand.
6mm diameter seems to be just about right IMO.

Love using solder with silver alloy ... makes any tip work better (improved wetting properties).

"Love using solder with silver alloy ... makes any tip work better (improved wetting properties)."
I'll have to give that a try.

dlloyd:
Love using solder with silver alloy ... makes any tip work better (improved wetting properties).

Certainly does if you have to use lead free solder.
I find bent tips useful if i have to use a mag glass.
Which is every time these days.

Wish someone would make an "anti-shake" iron, like those gyro stabilized binoculars. >:(

Wish someone would make an "anti-shake" iron, like those gyro stabilized binoculars. >:(

I know what you mean.
I rest the heel of my hand on the desk top, this keeps things from moving to a minimum.

LarryD:
BTW
Using distilled water on the solder iron sponge keeps the salts in the water from building up on/in the soldering iron stand.

I think you just solved a problem I didn't really know I had. I always wondered why I'd clean my tip and immediately have junk on it again.

outsider:

I am suffering too, soldering and keeping still. Its impossible for me to do surface mount prototyping.

Last night I had an idea to make a pair of robotic hands, that I would use operating a pair of jog dials, with a footswitch to dip-down the soldering iron. The time it would take me to make that would distract from the rest of my projects.

I'm always looking for better tools, jigs to help.

@DocStein99
If you are considering SMD devices, a hot air rework station may be your answer.

These might be of interest:

Prop-Forge:
I think you just solved a problem I didn't really know I had. I always wondered why I'd clean my tip and immediately have junk on it again.

I gave the brass mesh sponge in a tin a try after the damp sponge method. Brass mesh sponge is indescribably better.

LarryD:
@DocStein99
If you are considering SMD devices, a hot air rework station may be your answer.

I just get the mother in law to breath on it :slight_smile:

Yes that would work :slight_smile:

You can get solder to quickly solidify by submitting it to the cold shoulder from the wife.

I am NOT considering SMD. All of those tools will not help me hold, place those tiny components. I already have a tough enough time reading labels on DIP sized chips.