Help!!! Can l298n motor driver take 5v instead of 12 volts

i am pretty beginner in this i am creating a robot for my school project(yea i am in school) so i would just like to know that can l298n motor driver take 5v instead of 12 volts as i want to run 2 5v motors and i think i may have to remove that voltage regulator jumper and supply 5v from arduino that's my guess if it can take 5v

You can't safely run motors from the Arduino 5V pin. The L298N motor driver needs a separate supply.

It doesn't have to be 12V but since you are likely to lose around 2-3V in the chip to be sure of getting 5V to the motors you need to supply more than that to the motor driver. 4 or 5 AA batteries is about the minimum practical. Don't try using a little rectangular 9V battery because they can't provide enough current to run motors successfully.

Steve

Consider replacing the ancient, weak and energy-wasting L298 motor driver with a modern, efficient one.

aarush1212:
i am pretty beginner in this i am creating a robot for my school project(yea i am in school) so i would just like to know that can l298n motor driver take 5v instead of 12 volts as i want to run 2 5v motors and i think i may have to remove that voltage regulator jumper and supply 5v from arduino that's my guess if it can take 5v

This might help you answer that question: