Flat Earther takes off in home made rocket

Flat Earther "Mad" Mike Hughes launched himself 1900ft into the air in a self-built steam powered rocket. Mr Hughes built his rocket in his garage and converted his mobile home into a launch ramp. The launch site was 200 miles east of Los Angeles.

Mr Hughes is quoted as saying "This thing wants to kill you ten different ways", but he seems to have survived his flight relatively unscathed.

Full flight here in link below. Fast forward till 22mins. The actual launch is about 26min.

Well hats of to that man. How though can somebody with enough know how to build and use a rocket like that, without killing himself, believe that the world is shaped like a frisbee?
Do Flat Earthers have a whole different theory for how gravity works?

His ambition is to build a rocket that will take him to 68 miles, he also want to run for Governor of California.
I don't fancy his chances of increasing his altitude by 190 times ! With politics anything goes.

A controlled launch and safe return of a person 1900 feet into the air is a pretty impressive feat...

The higher you go things he exponentially more difficult.

I’m thinking some simple math will tell him obtaining the velocity to reach his altitude at a survivable acceleration probably isn’t possible with steam

I’m surprised the faa gave him a permit

ardly:
How though can somebody with enough know how to build and use a rocket like that, without killing himself, believe that the world is shaped like a frisbee?

Maybe he is hoping to fly to edge to get a view of the turtles?

...R

Flat earthers are more about a state of mind that an actual believe the earth is flat. They got to prove it for themselves, hence the rockets.

ardly:
How though can somebody with enough know how to build and use a rocket like that, without killing himself, believe that the world is shaped like a frisbee?

The FE community consists of the credulous and scammers hoping to make money off the former. Typically the monetization of stupidity is done via ad revenue but maybe one saw potential for much greater profits by running a crowdfunding campaign?

pert:
The FE community consists of the credulous and scammers hoping to make money off the former. Typically the monetization of stupidity is done via ad revenue but maybe one saw potential for much greater profits by running a crowdfunding campaign?

I had a quick look just now and I found one crowdfunding listing with a target of just $15k. That rocket did fly and it had twin parachutes so it must have cost a fair bit to build. Plus he had the balls to go up in it.

Perpetual motion machines are where the scammers milk the credulous with no need to fire themselves into the air and crash into the ground. I remember one where little wind turbines fitted to a car generated electricity when the car moved that in turn powered the car - people invested in that until the big oil companies suppressed the idea :confused:

Yes, but he also ran a paid subscription thing (I think associated with those jackasses on the video). Also, this was just the promotional run. The true payday comes from the funding for the "real" rocket (which of course will never be launched due to the illuminati requiring permits).

pert:
Yes, but he also ran a paid subscription thing (I think associated with those jackasses on the video). Also, this was just the promotional run. The true payday comes from the funding for the "real" rocket (which of course will never be launched due to the illuminati requiring permits).

Yes, the 'real' rocket will require an awful lot cash and you are right it will never fly. I had forgotten about the Illuminati, who of course control NASA, there is no way they are going to let the truth be shown. Still maybe "Mad" Mike deserves to hit pay-dirt for putting his neck on the line.

I unfortunately know much more about FE than I would ever have wanted to due to having a childhood friend who is an extremely vocal flat earther. One of his primary pieces of evidence: That NASA contains 4/5 the same letters as the word Satan.

Of course the earth is flat! Take a ball and sit it on the ground. Does it roll off? No it doesn't. QED

Right! And wouldn't our Australian friends here have awful headaches?

Mike wants fame and wealth otherwise he'd hire someone to fly him safely to 10KM or so to have his look.

He could also travel always eastward and see if he finds the edge before he gets home, Or even see the edge-free air and shipping lanes to every city and port in the world.

He might try to explain Coriolis forces?

But oh no, Earth is flat and the whole universe turns around it and by extension, the believer.

I wasn’t sure the earth was a sphere either until spacex sent a Tesla around the earth and live streamed it.

That had to have swayed many flat earthers.

"That NASA contains 4/5 the same letters as the word Satan."

Or Santa.

Santa could be Satan as well

#knowthereason

Or Santa.

Ah, you must know my friend.

ChrisTenone:
Right! And wouldn't our Australian friends here have awful headaches?

@ChrisTenone is a disk denier. He admitted posting, on this very forum, photographs in which he had distorted the horizon using fisheye lenses to make it look curved. Don't trust him, it would not surprise me if he is a member of the Illuminati.

Mike wants fame and wealth otherwise he'd hire someone to fly him safely to 10KM or so to have his look.

Everybody knows that a global conspiracy ( probably lead by @ChrisTenone who has experience in this ) means aircraft windows deliberately distort the horizon to make it appear round.

Besides if the world was round the pilot would have to keep adjusting his flight downwards to go round the world, which they don't do, and since the plane does not fly straight into space the world must be flat.

Wherever you are in the world if you drop something it falls straight down. That is something that should not happen according to current explanations of gravity if the world were a disk. Obviously the Illuminati have been spreading false explanations of gravity to conceal the true disk nature of the world. We need a new correct theory of gravity the current one does not describe the world properly at all.

ardly:
Obviously the Illuminati have been spreading false explanations of gravity to conceal the true disk nature of the world. We need a new correct theory of gravity the current one does not describe the world properly at all.

Yes, that's part of the FE thing. Gravity is a hoax. They either say it's density or else constant acceleration of the disk in an upwards direction.

And by "core" you mean the turtles, right?

travis_farmer:
turtles?

Careful. I'm pretty sure this forum has a rule that not having read the Discworld series at least once is grounds for a ban.