[Solved] Sending Serial Data between Esplora and Uno

Can we try another sketch (for the Uno)?

//  chummerRX
//
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
SoftwareSerial Dataline(2, 3);
byte incoming;
byte Lpin = 13;
void setup ()
{
  Dataline.begin(9600);
  pinMode(Lpin,LOW);
}

void loop ()
{
  if (Dataline.available() > 0)
  {
    incoming = Dataline.read();
    if(incoming == 85)   // ascii for 'U'
    {
      digitalWrite(Lpin,HIGH);
      delay(1000);
      digitalWrite(Lpin,LOW);
    }
  }
}

I think it might be a good idea to have a little resistance between Esplora data out and Uno data in ( >= 100ohms ).

No luck. I tried this with and without a resistor.

Definitely have that resistor, a 1K, in there to keep the Esplora from "powering" the Uno when the Uno is unpowered.
I get Uno 'L' to turn on with an Esplora UP - but it won't turn off.

The LED won't turn on at all for me. Completely unresponsive..

It turns off after about 20 sec, but the Esplora is not transmitting that whole time.

Maybe one Esplora button push sends more than one 'U' and the Uno buffer is getting stuffed.

This could be! When I tested if the buttons were being read in reply 9, the letter would be printed countless times from a quick tap of the button.

How could I solve this? Perhaps a small delay() just for testing purposes right now?

HA!
That's it!

If I change the Esplora code thus:

if (Esplora.readButton(SWITCH_UP)==LOW)
  {
    //confirmation();
    Dataline.println("U");
    delay(5000);  //  "debounce"
  }

effecting a crude "debounce" (by bludgeon)
then the Uno behaves as expected.

The superior method would be to run the Esplora buttons inside the "state machine" paradigm.

Just now, I increased the series resistor to 20k and it's still good (better).
Definitely required.

I know that you're doing this as a test, proof of concept, till you get your XBee together.

It still doesn't work for me... WTH?

edit: let me try what you said in post 22 and 23

Use 'chummerremote', for the Esplora, and 'chummerrx', for the Uno - the sketches that I posted.
(The picture attached shows that I'm working this with you, not that you doubt me,)

Adding my .INOs

IMG_1890.JPG

chummerremote.ino (873 Bytes)

chummerrx.ino (413 Bytes)

In chummerrx (for the Uno), I changed the Dataline pins to 15,16 (A1 and A2) - using A1 was more convenient for me.

I really appreciate your help, I'm just baffled that I can't manage to get this to work.. I tried everything in post 25 with no success..

? ? ?
Attaching a wiring diagram.
Confirm the serial out from the Esplora (as previously described), no connections to anything but the LED/resistor.

My setup looks just like the diagram. I'll go as far as taking a video of me uploading both codes and me pressing the buttons. This is probably a dumb mistake I'm not seeing that I'm wasting your time with.

If you're using my INOs, unmodified, then it's the wiring.
Please confirm that you've verified the serial out of the Esplora with the LED test.

yes, it passes the LED test.

Well, I'll wait for your pics, or video, so long as things can be scrutinized.
If you need a youtube, I can manage that, too. ( I don't have a tripod or a cameraman though. )

Thank you so much for helping me to this point... I have a video uploading now.