avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Im having this issue too. I cant upload ANYTHING to my nano (genuine) Everythings ok with UNO and Micro. Can anyone help?????

Same issue here, with three different nano versions. I took the advice from above and downloaded and installed an older version of the Arduino IDE (1.8.7, found at firehorse.com). Seems to have solved the upload problem, but the Serial Port/Console doesn't print out messages.

Update: got the serial port working (operator error), but 1.8.7 still is a bit flakey; I have to swap the cpu type every once in a while to avoid the avrdude error. But at least now I can work on my project. Might try 1.8.5, but bleh maybe not.

ocrantz:
Same issue here, with three different nano versions. I took the advice from above and downloaded and installed an older version of the Arduino IDE (1.8.7, found at firehorse.com). Seems to have solved the upload problem, but the Serial Port/Console doesn't print out messages.

Hmmm. Thanks for the tip. I think I'll have to give my codes to a friend so he can upload them to the nanos for now. But I think I'll try an older software version monday.

You can also get older versions right from Arduino.cc

(forum might stick some extra characters at the start and end of that link)

Thanks CROSSROADS.

Hmmm. So I gave the code to a friend with a PC and he couldn't put it on the NANO either. He got a weird error something about the Mac OS.....

Hiya - A quick note to stop some red herrings.

I received this error with an Funduino (Keyes) Pro Mini and Funduino FTDI Basic. Both came with no documentation or pin-out markings for the programming pins.

It took me quite a few hours of searching and poking around with a multimeter before I realised the Funduino board has reversed the alignment of the pins on the interface. When put the FTDI I/F card upside-down it worked!! Why would these guys do that I have no idea .. anyway all good now - working perfectly.

Doc is here (thankyou tinkbox.ph)

http://tinkbox.ph/sites/tinkbox.ph/files/downloads/KEYES%20Funduino%20Pro%20Mini%20328.pdf

Hi guys,

I had this error many times.. And ordered new FTDI adapters :slight_smile: Even two. Yesterday.

But now I found, that if I want to upload a sketch to my bare-bone Atmel328p, I need to wait some little time after closing Serial monitor. One or Couple minutes was enough. Of course, Bluetooth adapter must be disconnected also.
And now if it's not uploading - I am just going to make cafe :slight_smile: And it always helps now.

kmd495:

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows Store 1.8.21.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Sketch uses 1448 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 8183 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
C:\Users\nigel\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\nigel\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cwiring -PCOM4 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\nigel\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_52102/_blink.4sec_delay2.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
        Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
        Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\nigel\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM4
        Using Programmer              : wiring
        Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

avrdude done.  Thank you.

the selected serial port
does not exist or your board is not connected

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Make sure you have selected the port of your Arduino board from the Tools > Port menu.

Sometimes the port will be labeled with the board name in the menu. Other times it will not. If you don’t know which port is your Arduino, you can find it like this:

• Unplug your Arduino board from the computer.
  • Tools > Port
  • Note the ports, if any, listed in the menu.
  • Close the Tools menu
  • Plug your Arduino board into the computer.
  • Tools > Port - The new port listed in the menu is your Arduino board.

I just tried updating today and this is the error message I get when trying upload to NANO. I have NO problems sending my code to UNO or MICRO: Can anyone help. This is maddening. :frowning:

-----------------------------------ERROR CODE BELOW------------------------------------------

Arduino: 1.8.10 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Nano Every, ATMEGA328"

loading hardware from /private/var/folders/93/h8xxfkcn0tqfs_dykh274w4c0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/34475243-6C8C-407C-8561-143B27188356/d/Arduino-3.app/Contents/Java/hardware: following possible symlink /private/var/folders/93/h8xxfkcn0tqfs_dykh274w4c0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/34475243-6C8C-407C-8561-143B27188356/d/Arduino-3.app/Contents/Java/hardware: lstat /private/var/folders/93/h8xxfkcn0tqfs_dykh274w4c0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/34475243-6C8C-407C-8561-143B27188356/d/Arduino-3.app: no such file or directory

Error compiling for board Arduino Nano Every.

tmhuud007:
I just tried updating today and this is the error message I get when trying upload to NANO.

Do you have a Nano, or do you have a Nano Every? Despite the similar names, these are very different boards.

Yes, NANO EVERY is the one I selected. Thanks for asking.

Update. Restarted computer several times. Jiggled the USB cable. Looks like code uploaded. NO errors although.... there is an odd little hardware error (NOT part of the main errors) that came up. I don’t really know if the code was successfully uploaded or not. I’ll have to wire it up and check. Ugh...

HI,

Seem to have same problem just starting up, connecting to Microduino/mCookie-Core (328p) - for the windmill example

Any suggestions?

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 10), Board: "Microduino/mCookie-Core (328p), Atmega328P@16M,5V"

In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino For Microduino\examples\00.mCookie_IBC_01_Windmill_01_Windmill.ino:49:0:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino For Microduino\hardware\Microduino\avr\libraries_08_Shield_Microduino_Key/Microduino_Key.h:7:0: warning: "NUM_DIGITAL_PINS" redefined [enabled by default]

#define NUM_DIGITAL_PINS 22

^

In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino For Microduino\hardware\Microduino\avr\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:255:0,

from sketch_01_Windmill.ino.cpp:1:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino For Microduino\hardware\Microduino\avr\variants\standard/pins_arduino.h:28:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define NUM_DIGITAL_PINS 20

^

In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino For Microduino\hardware\Microduino\avr\libraries_08_Shield_Microduino_Key\Microduino_Key.cpp:1:0:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino For Microduino\hardware\Microduino\avr\libraries_08_Shield_Microduino_Key\Microduino_Key.h:7:0: warning: "NUM_DIGITAL_PINS" redefined [enabled by default]

#define NUM_DIGITAL_PINS 22

^

In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino For Microduino\hardware\Microduino\avr\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:255:0,

from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino For Microduino\hardware\Microduino\avr\libraries_08_Shield_Microduino_Key\Microduino_Key.h:4,

from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino For Microduino\hardware\Microduino\avr\libraries_08_Shield_Microduino_Key\Microduino_Key.cpp:1:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino For Microduino\hardware\Microduino\avr\variants\standard/pins_arduino.h:28:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define NUM_DIGITAL_PINS 20

^

Sketch uses 5,594 bytes (17%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 398 bytes (19%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,650 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x80
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x80
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x80
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x80
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x80
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x80
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x80
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x80
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x80
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x80
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

enabled in File > Preferences.

Remove any connections to pins 0 and 1. These pins are used for communication with your computer, including uploads. Connecting anything to these pins can interfere with uploads.

Make sure you have the correct board selected from the custom Tools menu (the part where "Atmega328P@16M,5V" is selected. There are several variations of the Microduino/mCookie-Core (328p) board and you need to make sure you have the configuration set correctly for the board you are using.

Make sure you have selected the port of your Arduino board from the Tools > Port menu.

Sometimes the port will be labeled with the board name in the menu. Other times it will not. If you don’t know which port is your Arduino, you can find it like this:

• Tools > Port
  • Close the Tools menu

Arduino: 1.8.10 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Sketch uses 2986 bytes (9%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 200 bytes (9%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1848 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Users\ZolTA\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\ZolTA\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM4 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\ZolTA\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_547060/sketch_dec08b.ino.hex:i

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\ZolTA\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM4
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3c

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

Remove any connections to pins 0 and 1. These pins are used for communication with your computer, including uploads. Connecting anything to these pins can interfere with uploads.

Make sure you have the correct board selected from the Tools > Board menu.

• Tools > Port
  • Close the Tools menu

Hi, I just got back into my office after a fair time away and decided to muck around with my arduinos!

I was notified by the Mac that there was a new version of arduinocc so i downloaded it and lowe and behold i have the same error that everyone here is talking about!

I have many different arduinos lying around and decided to reset several to "Blink".

The non genuine nanos all worked but only after selecting Old boot loader!

The non genuine UNO worked straight away!

The atmega 2560s all worked straight away!

The ARDUINO and SAINSMART leonardos all failed to load!

so I got the old windows laptop out which was still running version 1.65 and it was quite happy to load the leonardos.

Nothing was happy to run the old genuine UNOs?

All boards were correctly selected, completely bare and as you see were tested against different operating systems and versions.

I then rolled back the boards in board manager on the apple but arduinocc itself was less than happy with that so i am stuck at the moment with having to load different boards from different computers!

Naturally i cannot relistically roll back my apple as the update process is veeeeery long!

I have not tried the old linux laptop as it is under heaps of stuff in the shed somewhere but it was happy to load all of these boards without any problem last time it was booted (four years ago).

Naturally I along with the others who are struggling with the avrdude communication issue would love to see a resolution!

If my old (not updated) windows system and latest updated apple can be of help please let me know what I need to do to give you chaps the information that will help isolate the error... err problem.. heheheh

Cheers.

Graham

Are you using macOS Catalina? If so, I think you are encountering fairly new cause of this error with the Leonardos:

Arduino: 1.8.10 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P"

Sketch uses 968 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
D:\arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CD:\arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM5 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\AnEl\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_879549/Blink.ino.hex:i

System wide configuration file is "D:\arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM5
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x17
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x17
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x17
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x17
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x17
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x17
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x17
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x17
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x17
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x17

avrdude done. Thank you.

pantherenjoys:
Arduino: 1.8.10 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P"

Select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader) and try uploading again.