Museum installation

Hello everyone ,
I have to design an interactive installation for a museum, which has to play 2min audio files on specific trigger event.
I thought to use arduino + mp3 shield. My only concern is, will it be reliable. The device must be powered for a whole year. And i really need to make sure the device will perform ok for that time :).
If someone have experience with such a longtime projects, please let me know. Any other suggestions about platform or reliable audio board will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

I have to design an interactive installation for a museum, which has to play 2min audio files on specific trigger event.

Sounds like a nice project. perfectly doable.

What sort trigger do you have in mind?

The device must be powered for a whole year.

use a decent power supply.

And i really need to make sure the device will perform ok for that time

We can review code and schematics from here.
be sure to put all things in a nice box.

If someone have experience with such a longtime projects, please let me know.

The Arduino will not be the problem.

Any other suggestions about platform or reliable audio board will be appreciated.

this seems to be a good start for you... - Audio Shield for Arduino -

Audio files will be triggered with reed switches. I think i will used ATX PSU for the 5 volts. Code is not the problem. Just need opinions about Long-term guarantee for one such audio device.
I don't think the wave shield will last longer than the mp3 shield. But if its not true please help me understand why.

Hi,
how many reed switches you had in mind?
There are simple triggerable modules on the market such as
http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=806
with a little diy you probably don't need arduino
Succes!
Jacob

there must be 9 trigger switches. This board looks cute, but i must program the device, for specific events like... play the file uninterrupted by other events end etc ( needs program :slight_smile: )

For most electronics applies that if it works for a day it will keep working for a year.

Note that if it is a commercial project you should take care of professional engineering practices tocreate a quality product.

An ATX power supply probably isn't the best choice. They're overly-complicated for what you want. A simple wall-wart (or transformer + rectifier), some reasonable filtering, and a regulator should provide adequate power conditioning. You can also use a watchdog timer, so in the event your code crashes for whatever reason, it'll restart the chip itself.

perhaps the MCU is not the one possible to fail. I am concern about the shield and the sd card. (reading errors... or stuck playback or something)

I am concern about the shield and the sd card. (reading errors... or stuck playback or something)

Reading errors might be prevented by putting the MP3 multiple times on the SD to have a fall back file (complicates the code how far will you go)

You can build in a sanity checker that checks the readability of files (but that could introduces errors of its own :frowning:

Shields are stable, You can always make a print yourself connecting all components on one print.

• you just say to the museum that if a device fails you will replace it (or better give them an emergence Arduino to replace a failing one (option?).
    Be sure to include this kind of fall back services in your bill :wink:

this is one shield to check out - http://ruggedcircuits.com/html/rugged_audio_shield.html -