nRF24L01+ PA+external antenna range problem?

Hello.
I bought three nRF24L01+ modules with amplifier and external antenna.
NRF24L01-PA-LNA-SMA-Antenna

I have one set up as master and the other as slave.
Each on their own Arduino Leonardo.

I used the simple examples from here, and made some simple additions, to make it easier to determine the range.
Simple nRF24L01+ 2.4GHz transceiver demo

But i can only get outside the front door, before the transmission fails, which is only about 10m away from the master.

The modules is set tp RF24_PA_MAX and channel 98, at 250kbps bandwidth.
I have also tried the default channel of 76.

I know that the estimated 1100m is in line of sight, which i have not testet ye, but if i only get 10m inside, the line of sight won't be 100x greater.

Am i missing something here, or should i look to an alternative solution?

So you use long range hardware and settings and test it from 0 to 10 meters?

You don't give any information about the used power supply which has a big impact on any NRF setup.

inferno89:
I know that the estimated 1100m is in line of sight, which i have not testet ye, but if i only get 10m inside, the line of sight won't be 100x greater.

The differance between reception range and when there is an obstructed view (typical in urban areas) and good line of sight can be very much more than 100x, maybe 1500x.

Whandall:
So you use long range hardware and settings and test it from 0 to 10 meters?

You don't give any information about the used power supply which has a big impact on any NRF setup.

I have tried furhter away, but the longest range i got was 10meters.

srnet:
The differance between reception range and when there is an obstructed view (typical in urban areas) and good line of sight can be very much more than 100x, maybe 1500x.

So you are saying that 10m is okay?

#srnet
I can see you have experience with LoRa tech.
Do you have any experiences with the range within big industrial buildings? basements, multi story buildings etv.

inferno89:
But i can only get outside the front door, before the transmission fails, which is only about 10m away from the master.

[.....]

Am i missing something here, or should i look to an alternative solution?

You should check the range with both modules outdoors with no obstructions before wondering about range in more difficult circumstances.

I have had the low power nRF24s (with PCB antenna) working at 110m outdoors and I checked another pair last week at 30m outdoors (I did not need any greater range on that occasion and I did not have space for a very long test).

Assuming they are working OK outdoors the things to consider for indoors (or in/out) include what obstructions are in the way and what other 2.4GHz wireless devices are working in the vicinity.

If there are other 2.4GHz device nearby try changing the channel on your nRF24s.

...R

inferno89:
#srnet
I can see you have experience with LoRa tech.
Do you have any experiences with the range within big industrial buildings? basements, multi story buildings etv.

A little and the range can be substantially less than outdoors in urban areas.

A lot of buildings may have metal floors, foil backed plasterboard, girders etc.

Beyond that there is not a lot of point in speculating as most buildings are different and there is no substitute for real world tests.

Robin2:
You should check the range with both modules outdoors with no obstructions before wondering about range in more difficult circumstances.

I have had the low power nRF24s (with PCB antenna) working at 110m outdoors and I checked another pair last week at 30m outdoors (I did not need any greater range on that occasion and I did not have space for a very long test).

Assuming they are working OK outdoors the things to consider for indoors (or in/out) include what obstructions are in the way and what other 2.4GHz wireless devices are working in the vicinity.

If there are other 2.4GHz device nearby try changing the channel on your nRF24s.

...R

I will try to test it in an open area with no buildings/wifi around.

srnet:
A little and the range can be substantially less than outdoors in urban areas.

A lot of buildings may have metal floors, foil backed plasterboard, girders etc.

Beyond that there is not a lot of point in speculating as most buildings are different and there is no substitute for real world tests.

Sure real world tests would be best. But i am looking for a solution that will work in most buildings, and thereby i can't just test it in one building, since it may not work in another building.
But maybe 2.4GHz is just too crowded.

I hope to find a solution with 50-100m indoor range.
I've been looking around for many tech to do this, e.g. Bluetooth 5 (LE), Halow-Wifi, LoRa, Zigbee/Xbee, SigFox, 433MHz/866MHz RF and others!.
But they often lack range, security, sample rate, supported number of connected devices, or is not intended for battery use. Or is just generaly not available on the market!

Suggestions are welcome!

inferno89:
But they often lack range, security, sample rate, supported number of connected devices, or is not intended for battery use.
Or is just generaly not available on the market!

If such sytstems were possible and practical, within the limits of current technology and spectrum availability, you would expect them to be easy to find.

I am using the onboard 3.3 voltage rail, but this might not be sufficient enough for this module, or what? I will see if i can power them from a stronger 3.3v source.

inferno89:
I am using the onboard 3.3 voltage rail, but this might not be sufficient enough for this module, or what?

It is not.