avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Hi!

I am using Eclipse IDE with arduino nano and seemed to have bricked it.

After i tried to burn my program, I cant seem to burn anything else to my arduino.

I get the following message:

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

I tried to fix it and reburn the bootloader from here:

And it didnt work...

I rechecked my code and saw that the size of it was bigger than the 16kb of my nano...

Could that have been the problem? Is there something i can do to try and save my nano?

Thank you!

STK500 ERRORS

This is too much of a “GENERIC” code to give any one answer.

Best bet is start at the top of this list and eliminate as many issues mentioned as possible.

Then do a search of the forum for “stk500” and follow each answer to the end of its thread and try what other people have tried.

Quite often there are “Oh My God” moments where something you didn’t think would work suddenly does.
OR one step you tried may depend on another step from a completely different post.

Some of the fixes / answers below but this is by no means a complete list and are a small compilation of real answers from the forum. I claim no credit for any of these.

“I had this issue a couple of times and l it happened while unplugging and giving power to the arduino while other things plugged in. I had to restart the computer this fixed it in both of my cases.”

“The problem is that the com port has changed. Check the Device Manager then check the compiler Tools/Serial Port; they should be the same.”

“Had this problem on my Windows machine. The problem was simply drivers. I had not installed the drivers for my Arduino yet. “

“fyi you should only have to reseat the Atmega chip once, if at all. The idea is to make sure all its pins are contacting, which generally only takes one try. 98% of the time this is not going to help, it's only for the rare cases where the chip and socket are not aligned.”

“I had to press the Reset Button AFTER I pressed "Upload to I/O Board". And when I say AFTER, I mean 4 to 5 seconds after. Seriously. Of course, this is the opposite advice from the feedback returned by the Arduino IDE....

It also turns out that (in my case anyway) there is a very narrow window of time where the Uploader will work. If I press the button too early, "Programmer is not Responding". If I press it too late, "Programmer is not responding". I have less than a second's time to get it right. “

“Burning the bootloader helped.”

“Windows 10 and arduino drivers don't get along. Only suggestion is to reinstall drivers and make sure they are the correct ones.”

“I got this when i used an ultrasound sensor in my project which is connected on the rx/tx pins. After disconnecting it for the upload it worked. You did not write if there was anything connected at the time of the upload. Maybe this helps?”

“Check that you have chosen the correct board under Tools before uploading, unplug usb and re plug it in, that should do the trick.”

On Mac OS X:
/Users/(username)/Library/Arduino15 (a.k.a. ~/Library/Arduino15)
(Note: The 'Library' folder is greyed out in Finder. The folder can't be opened with a double-click. To browse the contents of 'Library', ctrl-click on it and select "Open in New Tab" from the pop-up menu.)

On Windows delete or rename both:
Arduino IDE 1.6.5r5 and previous: C:\Users(username)\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15
Arduino IDE 1.6.6 and later: C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Arduino15

On Linux:
/home/(username)/.arduino15 (a.k.a. ~/.arduino15)
(Note: file/folder names starting with '.' are not normally shown in directory listings. Use 'ls -a' to get a directory listing that includes the hidden files.)

“If you are using an Arduino Nano w/ OSX you need to install the drivers.

Download and execute it:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/MacOSX/FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_14.dmg

And you'll find this files:

• FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_3.pkg which is specific to OSX 10.3 (Panther)

• FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6.pkg which is specific to OSX 10.4 (Tiger), OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
and 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Execute "FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6.pkg" if you are using OSX 10.5+ (Leopard+)”

“Do you have a USB hub handy (thingy that plugs into the USB and splits off 3 or 4 other ports)? I am not sure how the MacOS handles the Hub, but with Windoze, it assigns another device and starts the installation process again. Make sure you have proper permissions (User Account with Admin rights).”

“My problem was that I previously installed the FTDI drivers on my MAC even though I was working with an Arduino Mega (Which does not need those drivers) . Apparently the arduino program was using those drivers to communicate with my Mega that is why in Tools-Port I had tty-USBSerialxxx. I uninstalled those drivers and I got tty.usbmodem1411. My arduino MEGA ran perfectly fine. I hope this helps “

"I had to press the Reset Button AFTER I pressed "Upload to I/O Board". And when I say AFTER, I mean 4 to 5 seconds after. Seriously. Of course, this is the opposite advice from the feedback returned by the Arduino IDE....

Thank you very much I have followed above quote and it worked now.

FYI. I uploaded by using Web Editor on Mac pro. Instead to wait for 4-5 sec, after I clicked the Upload button on Web Editor. I pressed the reset button on Arduino board on the same time the screen will show this sentence "Overriding Baud Rate : 115200" then it works.
:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

somjoe:
"I had to press the Reset Button AFTER I pressed "Upload to I/O Board". And when I say AFTER, I mean 4 to 5 seconds after. Seriously. Of course, this is the opposite advice from the feedback returned by the Arduino IDE....

Instead to wait for 4-5 sec, after I clicked the Upload button on Web Editor. I pressed the reset button on Arduino board on the same time the screen will show this sentence "Overriding Baud Rate : 115200" then it works.

@somjoe Also at the same time as the Baudrate verbatim message.

@ballscrewbob Thank you for this post. This worked for me also, but at 3 seconds on my brand new, out of the box Uno R3.

Just a thought. Would the fact the the FTDI cable I'm running has no RST cable, just the 4 (+/-, Tx/Rx), have everything to do with this error?

If not is there a solution (other than a new cable, bluetooth, wifi uploading?

@peeela

Pretty much retired the real FTDI one I had.

In its place I have some Chinese ones (CH340/341 based) that have ALL the lines needed including CTS and DTR and have not had a single issue since.
If you go that route ensure it has the 3V / 5V selection switch and that it truly does give off 3V when supplying VCC. Great for ESP based devices or other 3 Volt boards of which there seems to be more nowadays.

One more reason to fail : wrong bootloader

Recently purchased an Arduino nano and when tried to upload Blink for testing purposes it failed. Because the board was manufactured previously to Jan 2018 just selecting Processor > "ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)" solved the problem (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoNano#toc4)